Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Successfuly rased pistol shrimp fry?

Has anyone successfuly raised shrimp fry? Specificly Pistol shrimp fry? I ask because today I visited a local reefer who had gotten some new corals and wanted to look them up in my coral book. He asked me what the little things where down in a corner of his tank and they where definatly not pods of any sort.

He asked if I thought they could be baby shrimp because the corner of teh tank they where in was the same corner his pair of pistol shrimp habitate. he said they also did not appear until after the pistol shrimp where in the tank.

They do indeed look like little shrimps in that the tail is slighly forked like the biginning of a shrimp tail and the body structure is simular in that the tail end is rather long and skinny in compairson to the main body mass.

I dont think its fish fry as the only two fish that he has a pair of is a pair of green chromis and a pair of yellow tangs.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
steve-s

Not to put a damper on things but they could also be mysid shrimp.
I guess the only way to be sure is once/if they mature and get larger.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes im fully aware thts what they could be. I just found it interesting that they where not seen in the tank until after the pistols had been introduced. The spot that they are mostly concerntraded is very much protected from all but some worms and pods.

The pistols in their digging caused a shift on one of his rocks that then slid down till it made contact with the front glass causing the formation of a small pocket of water/sand in the front corner of the tank that no fish or crabs can get to.

Only time will tell i guess.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fry, pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com