such a thing as too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there such a thing as too many copepods? There's so many they're clouding the glass and taking over my live rock. Should I get something to eat them or will they die down naturally?

herp_mommy said:
Is there such a thing as too many copepods? There's so many they're clouding the glass and taking over my live rock. Should I get something to eat them or will they die down naturally?

I don't think you can that many. Your fish will eat them. They reproduce like crazy!

The only problem I see with getting something to eat them like for example a mandarin is what do you do when it plows through all of them?

I've read that they can go through over 2,000 a day!!

I had one and after about 3 months it died. It probably went through all the pods even after I added more from reefs2go. Now when I do water changes I don't see any pods on the filter media like I did in the beginning. Just something to think about.

If you have a sump then is say your good to go for getting something to eat them because the sump is probably LOADED with them also and there gonna reproduce in there also and make there way into the DT.

Hope that made sense and wasn't too drawn out lol. I haven't had my coffee yet.

This is what I'm talkin about! I picked up an orange mandarin for $30. We'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• image-2560341281.jpg
    image-2560341281.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 200
herp_mommy said:
This is what I'm talkin about! I picked up an orange mandarin for $30. We'll see how it goes.

Wow i have never seen that many pods before!

Wow! If a mandarin doesn't survive in a tank with that many pods, then I don't know what it'll take to keep one. :)

Once I took all my fish out to medicate and my tank did the same thing. A bangai practically lickes the glass clean of copods when I put him back in

There isn't much that won't eat them, but don't be surprised as a dragonette can almost eat his weight in them daily. That's a lot of pods.

I had something similar happen to my tank.

HUGE burst of copepods! So many you could see them crawling on the glass from a good distance away. There were so many they were getting caught by the powerheads and floating through the water turning my tank into a snowglobe!

Over about 3-5 days time the population diminished and has reached what I call a stable point. I dunno if my fish ate some (clowns and a gramma at that point) or if they just died off naturally, but now there's a good size population.

Your mandarin will go to town for a few weeks but you better moniter the pod population or else he could starve in a few months if he eats them all. Just lookin out for the mandarin.

Back
Top Bottom