Such a thing as too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy, I was just curious if there's such a thing as too much light for a reef tank? Specifically, it's a 48x21x12 55gal? I'm buying a new lighting system and am either going for 2x250 MH or 2x400MH plus 1 or 2 48"T12 tubes...

Also, should I match the Temp of the two MH bulbs, and maybe put in an Actinic or two, ot mix the temp, or put one actinic and one 'sun" tube in?

Thanks,

Banik

well I'd say you can have too much light eventually. but what you propose for your tank isn't too much. You will have a LOT of light and will be able to support a high variety of corals, clams etc. Is that what you;re planning?

Yeah, I'd like the first lighting system I get to be the only one that I'll need for this tank. Ever. So should I go 2x250 or 2x400?

well, what kind of stuff do you want in the tank? I think either would be considered high light for the tank. The higher wattage will simply allow you to have high light requiring critters lower in the tank, not just mid to top. Heck, I think even with 2x250 you could put just about anything anywhere. (of course you'll want to aquascape yourself some overhangs and such so mobile inverts (mushrooms and anenomes for example) can pick the place they want and have some variation in level of light exposure.

/nod, to be honest, I'm not sure what I want. I'm gonna see what I get w/ my LR that I'll get from LR. com (80#, I believe...). I think I'm gonna go w/ the 2x250's...

2x250 is ideal for that size tank IMO. Supplemented with a couple of actinics.

Back
Top Bottom