Such thing as to much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even without reading the article, logically speaking bacteria can be present anywhere. Just like any living creatures, they will gather where abundant food is. Bacteria can float in the water column and start building up wherever there is nutrients. There are microscopic nutrients in your water column and they don't stay in one spot. When cycling they move from rotten raw shrimp to your rocks and substrate to keep on growing.

Interesting, however this- "Sensitive corals, like Acropora, do not thrive in the high-bacteria-count/high-TOC-level tanks examined, although soft corals do well (see pictures). On the other hand, SPS corals do well in the low-bacteria-count/low-TOC-level tanks (Fig. 6)."
taken from that article (Thanks Dave) says we don't want too much bacteria anyway.

No prob. It does state that. But at the same time they stated a skimmed aquarium has 1/10th the amount of bacteria as is found in natural reefs. Some bacteria/reef relationships that we still don't understand and that leads me to believe there is still much more research to be done in this area.

I've read other articles on this but I can't remember where.

Well, you (or I in this case) learn something new every day. ;)

That said, what do we all think the answer is to the OP's question?

I still stick with the "water changes do no harm" advice.

I'm of the opinion that if you do regular water changes already then additional changes should not cause any issues(unless maybe you use tap water). So in the OPs case this should not pose a problem.

Back
Top Bottom