Suction cups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday, I cleaned up all the powerheads in my tank (4 JBJ SP-1800s). After replacing them, I found that many of the suction cups are losing grip, and one powerhead even fell after a few hours, causing some havoc on my sand bed. What do you do to secure powerheads to avoid such catastrophes? Tips appreciated.

Jason

Suction cups dont hold up very well in saltwater it seems. I think its the rubber and salt breaking it down. Some PH's come with clips as well as suction cup mounts that you can clip on to the side of the tank.

I use the clips that came with my Maxi-jets instead of the suction cups. If you are lookin gfor a good cheap fix just head to the local hobby/craft store for cheap suction cups to replace what you have.

you would be amazed at what you can make with acrylic, a lighter and some zip ties :)

I save misc parts from blinds, kids toys and other building projects. I made some clips from a plastic clip, zip tie and the mounting bracket from the maxijet itself. I have bent acrylic with a lighter to fab up a few rudimentary items.

I posted a pic ahile back of one I made. Even when my suction cups realease the powerhead to mostly stable even while running. Lets me know when to clean them again.

Id give my left sleeve if someone would come up with small magnetic solutions for these bloody heaters..Suction cups let go on them and Whoomp! there goes the temp...

I think the only problem with having something magnetic would be it may throw off the little mechanism inside that sucks the water???

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most powerheads have that little "Fan" type thing inside that spins on a magnet as well?

Some people have siliconed or epoxied their PH's to cheap algae cleaner magnets. It worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom