Sufficiant determination of aquatic life diet needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krystian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I don't know where best to direct my question so I felt it might be a good to start in peer to peer aquatic hobby forums*.

Before posting, I searched google and then later the forum for terms which derive from permutations of "calorie" and "metabolism", etc relating to aquatic life. Unsatisfied with the results of my queries (on google, the only calorie/metabolism information on aquatic life was from eating them!) I felt then appropriate to cast this post.

Here's my question:

Are there any metrics, fish metabolism simulators (or expectation outputters), data sheets, tables or other resources of information which permit accurate fish dietary needs assertion?

whereby: one may know (relatively) the dietary requirements of an aquatic life, and ultimately how much of a fish food product to feed to fish.

given parameters:
  1. Latin name of aquatic life (to account for aquatic variances)
  2. Size of fish (in inches or cm)
  3. Type of food being fed (specific to product UPC if using packaged merchandised, otherwise "x grams of broccoli" (or similar) would be appropriate)
  4. Number of dosings per day (continuous or discrete feeding samples?... like 3 times a day vs. 1 time a day to accommodate fish exercise and energy for between feedings)
  5. Other parameters felt necessary

produce output which states: Feed [x amount] of [product Y] to fulfill daily nutritional requirement of fish.

where some examples of [x amount] could be provided in such units:
  • 3 pellets
  • 4 flakes
  • 2 grams of broccoli

Fish, like humans, vary their dining needs as a result of many parameters.
On the topic of fish metabolism, biologist Guido van den Thilart states on his webpage "Most fishes are very plastic and can change their biochemical and structural make up within several days. Mechanisms of metabolic regulation and adaptation are studied with techniques like in-vivo NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance), calorimetry, cannulation, and cell cultures. Emphasis is placed on endocrine regulation of energy metabolism. Fishes are studied in relation to swimming, hypoxia, temperature, and ontogeny."

With humans, regardless of many parameters, we are still able to conclude (relatively) a figure of 1,500 - 2,000 calorie/day diet. Though humans are considerably more "macro" organisms and considerably more stablized in their requirements, perhaps a similar feat can be reached for aquatic life (this is a hope. Please, no flaming).

Claims/benefits which I feel will arise from the availability of this information:
  1. Extend aquatic life span.
  2. Reduce failures in novice hobbyists or casual aquarists.
  3. Permit zoos, museums and large aquariums aquatic centers to share information on best maintaining aquatic life. The "American Zoo and Aquarium Association" (http://www.aza.org) could use such information.
  4. Permit aquatic food manufacturers, distributors to provide more nutrition information which can be synthesized and provided to people seeking information. (eg: How many brand x koi pellets should I feed my 2.5 inch koi of Y variety?)
  5. Eradicate the need to feed fish by studying how much they eat in an alloted period of time (4-5 minutes), in lieu of being able to precisely satiate their dietary needs given different feeding practices (1 vs 3 times a day feeding, for example).

Please provide some feedback on this. Your comments, thoughts and insights are greatly valued. I am humble for your time and attention to this question.

Regards,
Krystian.

* After reading this request, if you feel you know where best to direct this question through your contacts or familiarity of science knowledge bases, please let everyone know by responding to this question.

I checked FINS, and some other aquatic databases only to find out there really isn't a resource for this information. It would be invaluable for manufacturers to agree to cooperate on this information for the benefit of all aquarists alike.

The only guides you will find are generic "rules of thumb". The rest is determined by your experience with your particular livestock. Even the best guides for any type of life are generalities as each specimen requires different parameters.

indy said:
The only guides you will find are generic "rules of thumb". The rest is determined by your experience with your particular livestock. Even the best guides for any type of life are generalities as each specimen requires different parameters.

Aware with some of those problems, I proposed intaking multiple parameters (I'm sure, many are missing) which would aid in creating a calculator to estimate these food dosage.

Of course, calculation can be empiricly confirmed. "Wow, the fish ate that in 4 minutes." or "Darn, it didn't eat everything in 4 minutes"

I'm sure giving estimates and permitting users to upload results and assign weights and results to their own experiances would permit the creation of a greatly useful service. If anything, "ranges" of food amounts could be output instead a precise discrete value.

Grateful to your thoughts, always,
Krystian.

This is a neat query, but in the wild its not as if a fish's diet is based on anything more than opportunity, right? I would think a varied diet without excess food would ensure a proper diet, as it does with humans. www.mongabay.com lists details of natural habitat by fish; a determined person could then get the insect and food information for the area. I'll bet many biotopers and scientific-minded hobbyists go to great lengths to replicate the diet fish see in the wild.

Do you keep a biotope? Just curious.

Sorry. I thought I was still reading freshwater general.

czcz said:
Do you keep a biotope? Just curious.

No. At least, knowing me, not yet. ;)

I have a biOrb aquarium though. www.reef-one.com

czcz said:
Sorry. I thought I was still reading freshwater general.

Well, the reason I posted in Saltwater (and it's really a naughty reason) is that the most posts and most thread views happen in this forum.

Back
Top Bottom