Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, so today I found my tang stuck to the powerhead. I think I'm done with tangs. Want some suggestions on some nice colorful and active swimmers to take the tangs place in my 90g. Ideally I want something fairly low maintenance (not have to feed multiple times a day) as I'm gonna be working away. Doesn't have to be a larger fish either, open to schools or groups. Inhabitants now are a pair of designer clowns (1.5" & 2.5") orange spot diamond goby (2.5") engineer goby (7") and a mandarin dragonette (2.5"). I really like anthias but they require multiple small feedings per day. I want to avoid foxface as I find them quite timid when I approach the tank. Fire away folks.

Hmm some things I like in my 90g are:
wrasses- not sure if you are reef or fowlr but there are ones appropriate ones available for your type of tank
a squirrel fish- I have a big eyed one and he is awesome. :)
Hogfish. LOL I have a coral hogfish in my 90g and he does nothing but swim all day with the wrasses. Not shy and active. And kinda weird too

Angel, pygmy one of course...some nice colorful ones and active fish

I forgot to add that, it is a reef tank so angelfish are something I don't want to risk. I do like wrasses, had a mckoskers at one point which I liked.

I had an orange backed wrasse for a short while and LOVED the color. Since your tank is bigger than my 55, that really opens up the options for a handful of really colorful wrasses. Putting 3 wrasses in a tank would be really nice I think.

It depends on the wrasse really...I was reading about some a couple of months ago about some doing well in a school of 3...a male and 2 females. I'll see what I can dig up.

Bluehead, hooded fairy, leopard...just off a quick glance of what is do-able according to LA. So, some research will be necessary to find a perfect fit but it'd work.

I really like the blue head wrasse but it's reef safe with caution. The blue star leopard wrasse is a close second and it's reef safe.

I had forgotten about cardinals, I like them but they kinda get ugly once they get big. Small ones look nice though.

I have a blue headed wrasse in my 90g. he was pretty nasty until i got wrasses that were meaner than he is. lol They will eat inverts, at least mine does.

Triggers and most tangs too big for a 90gal.

The wrasses usually will be species specific as to how many of what kind you can have. For example, 5 years ago I bought 5 yellow canary wrasses, little ones. As they grew, two became males, the rest female. The big male eventually killed the other male. Another of the females became male and he killed that one. Now all is calm as the male has two females. Should have just bought three in the first place.

Ya I agree on the triggers and tangs, plus I've had no luck with tangs. Tried a kole first looked healthy and was eating right away then next morning was dead. Had a powder brown, tank crashed due to a skimmer malfunction (plug came off the bottom of the cup and dumped the whole cup back into system) and not much survived. then my half black mimic looked awesome and was healthy eating like a pig had him for a couple months then one day MIA, after some hunting I found him stuck to the powerhead with no signs of illness. I am so done with tangs, so **** sensitive I have a wife and two daughters so I'm right full on sensitive.

Anyways I do like the wrasse idea, my mckoskers was awesome and colorful, always out. I also like firefish but I think I'm right full on the sand bed. I like the look of chromis to but having then slowly kill each other off doesn't really appeal. I also don't mind the bengai cardinal fish, not a big fan of pajama cardinals though. I also looked into puffers recently (always wanted one, puffer is actually my last name) but I feel not worth the risk.

I had forgotten about cardinals, I like them but they kinda get ugly once they get big. Small ones look nice though.

I love my bangiis cardinals always active
img_2889574_0_f82e9de5f97d3ae7535f69912395f5bb.jpg

So I had a look at hogfish and squirrelfish and I really like the red stripe hogfish. Gonna put that at the list, thanks carey

Back
Top Bottom