Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Suggestions for 1st coral...

I'm not sure if this is the right time to consider this, but we are wondering if we can go ahead and get our first coral. I have an order for a yellow tang to be delivered this Saturday from liveaquaria.com and it would be good opportunity to add a coral to the order. Our parameters have been great since we finished cycling.

Any suggestions for something that will be hearty? We would like to include a coral beauty later to the tank. I know these can be tough to keep with corals, so if you keep that in mind when making suggestions, that would be great.

I would like something colorful. I love the Colony Polyp, Super Colored being offered at Live Aquaria right now. What do you think of those? Would they multiply too much for my 54 gallon set up?

TIA

DJ

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think the Colony Polyp would be a good first coral for your tank. Any types of mushrooms or zoos would be good as well. It looks like you have plenty of light for that.

I would like to offer one piece of advice though. Adding a yellow tang first to a tank is not a great idea. They are aggressive and it is usually suggested to add them last to a tank so that the other fish have already established a territory. If the tang goes in first, he might beat up any fish you try to add at a later date. If you do go this route though, you should rearrange your LR next time you add a new fish.

Are you going to QT? I ask because I learned the hard way that it is absolutely necessary. HTH

tripper

Old 01-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has it been set up?

You could do some shrroms, poylps, zoos, or leather. They are pretty hardy.

How many watts of light do you have? That will also determine what you could have. Should have asked that first.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lights:
30" Coralife Lunar Aqualight™ Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 1-65 watt Actinic and 1-65 watt 10,000K™ Compact Fluorescent Lamps Straight Pin Base with TWO 3/4 watt Blue 470nm LEDs and TWO Cooling Fans!!

I have 2 clowns in there already. Tank has been up for about 6 weeks. Here are the other fish I would like: (what order should they be added?)
Coral Beauty
Yellow Tang
Royal Gramma Basslet (??)
2 cleaner shrimp

That's probably it
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
Old 01-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would suggest adding the Gramma next, then the coral Beauty, and finally the Tang. You can add the shrimp whenever you want, just make sure to acclimate them very slowly. They are very hardy in the tank once they are acclimated, but many times people lose them soon after adding them to the tank b/c they put them in too quickly.

tripper
Old 01-26-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have a QT tank for new additions. Do I need to put the cleaner shrimp in there? Do you acclimate corals? If so, the same as fish, the drip method?

When I order from LiveAquaria.com the give you a choice of small, med. or large fish. Do all breeds grow to be the same size and these size options corresponding with age? In other words, does it really matter if I get a small vs. a Royal Gramma?

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Old 01-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes drip acclimateyour corals and light acclimate them. Do a slow siphon drip, then put them in the tank with no light for a little while. With the lighting you have I would think it would be ok to just turn half of your lights on for a few hours, then the rest.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
In other words, does it really matter if I get a small vs. a Royal Gramma?
I used to get big fish when I first got started. The I learned to appreciate smaller to medium fish. I figured, 1) the younger ones would live longer, 2) the younger ones would adjust to captivity better, 3) they may be less prone to agression, 4) less on the bio-load of newr tanks, and 5) some were just plain cuter than the older ones .

Still gonna do the Coral Beauty? Never had one, just wondering about coral nibbling down the road.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about a bubble tip anemone? Hard to keep?

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Old 01-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alot of people suggest your tank being set up at minimum 6 months, 12 months is better. The bubble tip is fairly hardy given enough light, and proper tank conditions.

Tags
coral, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com