Suggestions for a Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at adding a Tang to my current 90 gallon corner tank and was wondering what suggestions people have...I don't want something very expensive or difficult and am not at all interested in the yellow or purple tang..

Current Set up: 1 Koran Angel Fish, 1 Banded Coral Shrimp, Multiple snails & hermit crabs, mushrooms, frogspawn, Green Star Polyps...

Thanks in advance for the help....

I would suggest one of the bristletooth tangs (ctenochaetus sp) like a Kole tang as they stay a smaller size and will do good in a 4' tank.
You definitely do not want to get a big tang since you have a Koran already, which can get to be 16"...and is not a good fish for your 90.

Powder brown isn't too hardy IMO. Ick and stuff like that I hear too often. I also like the bristletooth choices since they stay smaller. If not the yellow eyed kole, there are other bristletooths too chosse from. They also love to nibble on the algae, hence the softer and different shaped mouth.

Tangs need swim room like 6' tanks and a corner doesn't give you much. I'd stick with the bristletooth variety.

Here's my bristletooth.

Oh yeah, and if you really like tangs, how about the jeweled tang? About $500 bucks.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• bristletooth.jpg
    bristletooth.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 69
  • speckled tang.jpg
    speckled tang.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 329
Here's my 2 spot bristletooth (c. binotatus).

tang1_4-08.jpg

And with a few of his buddies at feeding time.

tang2_4-08.jpg

Info: Acanthurus japonicus is much hardier than that of Acanthurus nigricans, which both go by Powder brown tang.

That's why I included the scientific name. Thank.

Also, Ich magnet may be an overdone statement. If proper QT measures are taken and water parameters are kept up, even a blue hippo (Paracanthurus hepatusis) not an Ich magnet. But that's another thread <g>

Id say a yellow eyed Kole tang would be a good addition. And even though I do agree with your accessment cmor I would say that certain tangs are more prone to ick But I do agree that if someone uses proper QT measures that they have a much better chance. I`m not disagreeing with you.

Thanks everyone for the input....I think I'm starting to lean towards the 2 Spot Bristletooth....

My vote is for the yellow-eye Kole...with proper selection they have a wonderful maroon/black pinstrip...very "gangster".

When (notice I said 'when' NOT 'if') I get another tank I'm certainly getting a kole tang. You'll be bored with him by then won't you??? Oh! and I'm sure you'll be tired of the purple brain too, so I'd be happy to take care of that. And the clam....blue linkia and and and :)

The Yellow Eye is a very beautiful Tang IMO.
I have one for about a year now and never had any issues.
He is a well balanced fish. Not aggressive, calm and a lot of personality.

Michael
MAXreefer

web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom