Suggestions for my tank please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
DT 40G
Substrate: Sand
50lbs LR
T5 HO Nova Extreme 4 - 39W
PH
open top (I'm thinking of getting some lexan to cover most of it, gotta hate the evaporation level especially during winter)
Livestock:
lawnmower blenny
emerald crab
peppermint shrimp
cleaner shrimp
black spiny urchin (and yeah had him a 2 weeks and getting big already)
halloween hermit crab
various hermits & snails
red serpent star
Coral: basic names, don't feel like looking them up :eek:p
trumpet
mushroom
plate
green staghorn
stars
polyp
leather

Sump 10G
10lbs rubble
Chaetomorpha Algae

no skimmer
5G weekly water change

So the only fish in there really is the blenny. There is quite a bit of flow in the tank. I'm really interested in the coral and inverts, but would like to get a main fish for the tank. Obviously reef and invert safe. Something that is fun to watch, not a jumper, and nothing too sensitive. I'd like something that grows, but won't totally outgrow the tank. I'm looking for some suggestions. I'll try to get some pics, need to buy a scraper for the algae. Some of it grew too much before I used the magnet and now it doesn't want to go anywhere. Oh I'm starting to get some coraline algae dots on the walls, I have a couple LR that is loaded with it, so its spreading :eek:)

Oh yeah, gonna want to know the age, huh? just about two months after cycle.

Cool line-up. Honestly though.. i would say get some sort of pygmy angel. Yeah.. they've been known to nip at coral.. but you may get lucky and find one that doesn't. I think as long as you keep him well fed, it will stay away from your coral.. but you never really know. There are just some really awesome pygmy angels out there and if you want a fish that grows and is the centerpiece of the tank.. i think a really nice looking angel would do the trick. There ARE other nice fish.. but i like the angels lol. Maybe something like a Flame Hawkfish? Those are also awesome fish.Or maybe a harlequin bass?

Idk.. just throwing out suggestions. Either way.. i really would suggest getting a top because lots of fish are jumpers. Most blennies and gobies are jumpers..

I've always liked having a one spot rabbit fish as one of my main display fish. They are pretty docile, won't harm any inverts, coral or other fish and can have some pretty coloring to them. They are herbavores and will eat the sheet algae you can get at the store and maybe some algae on the rocks but not much. They are venomous though (spines in the dorsal fin) but only if they are cornered. I also like kole tangs. They will eat the algae on the rocks and glass. Good luck...

Keep them coming please, I'd rather one I wouldn't have to worry so much about munching coral, spent too much money to have them eaten.

I guess I should have been clearer. I have a 29G biocube with a clown, gramma, chromis, and six-line wrasse. For the 40G I am looking to add a single fish that will get big, but not big enough to crowd him. I don't have the itch to keep getting fish, I just want a nice display fish. I do have the itch for coral :)

I know you already have a lawnmower blenny but i love my dusky blenny (black combtooth blenny) my brothers midas blenny is also very nice and more colourful. I love how they change colour in seconds and they always swim to the front of the tank as soon as i walk by. They also have an awesome swimming pattern. I find the flame hawkfish super neat too and also most filefish look pretty awesome. You have so many possibilities with saltwater! i could go on forever

oh one more...i really enjoy my flagtail/banded pipe fish hes really awesome to watch eat and swims all over the place even vertical at times. At first he would only eat cyclopeeze but is now eating mysis as well :)

Good luck!

You could get a Dwarf Lionfish. Fu Ma Chu (I think thats right) Lion is a small fuzzy one that's cute and very interesting. Watch your inverts though. Just a suggestion for something different and interesting and colourful. :)

Back
Top Bottom