Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone!

I have a quick question today! I was curious as to if sumps were absolutely necessary for larger tanks (like over 125g or around there). I am aware of the benefits to having one, but was curious as to if something would go awry in a larger tank (without coral if that makes a difference). What if all hang on the back equipment was utilized?

Thanks for reading my curiosity question!

Sump help with few things. Sump make equipement quieter, increase oxygenation, increase mech filtration, increase bio filtration, you can put skimmer without having to listen to noise all the day.

Sump also increase the overall look of the aquarium: E.g. you put the heater inside the sump instead in the main show tank.

You can make more powerfull bio filtration and nitrates/phosphate removal with a good light and algae in the sump.

Sump also increase the overall volume of water your tank contains, so when a fish poop, it will be dissolved into more water, it make more room for mistakes, etc.

Sump is simply better for bigger systems.

I don't have sump on my hightech 20g, but I need to hear all the day the HOB skimmer.

To answer your question, the answer is no. You don't have to have a sump. The benefits far out weigh not having one, but no, it is no required.
I have a 90 sump/Fuge under my 135 display. It has helped me with everything and every aspect of the tank and I would highly recommend having one.

Agreed its not necessary for fowlr tanks. IMO its harder to maintain a sumpless fowlr tank.

Back
Top Bottom