Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump

Had another topic going about whether to get a sump or Refugium for a 29g reef. Building a sump just seemed so intimidating to me. I have zero mechanical and building skills.
Then I thought to myself a sump with a Refugium and skimmer won't cost too much more then an hob filter. And it also occurred to me that I have a newly retired ex engineer/contractor step dad who is bored out of his mind looking for stuff to do. So decided to recruit him.

Going to go with a 20 high with three chambers. First for a skimmer. Second for Refugium with dsb. And third for return pump. Baffle between first and second chamber.

Do still have a few questions about connecting sump to tank. Tank is not predrilled so figure I need an over flow box. Which one should I get? How do I connect it to my sump. How can I protect against a flood.

What size pump do I want? How do I connect it back to tank. Read need valves and bubble traps.?

Going to get the skimmer last after I pay off the rest of my aquarium purchases. Any in sump skimmer recommendations. Any more sump advice.

Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A sump / refugium can be as simple as a tank with plates of glass siliconed in. Generally, there are 3 areas to it.

First piece is where the water from the display drains into. This is where the skimmer usually sits and where a bubble trap is as well. This only needs to be large enough to fit a skimmer into. The bubble trap is a series of 3 panes of glass approximately a half an inch apart. The First and 3rd panes of glass should be the same height and they will regulate the depth of the water in the first chamber. The middle pane of glass needs to be raised approximately an inch off the bottom to force the water to flow under.

Second is the refugium section. This is the bread and butter of the build. Just a large space to grow algae in. Make this section as large as possible.

The last section is the return pump. Just a single pane of glass that will regulate the depth of the water in the refugium section. Make the last section large enough to hold the return pump + 2 to 3 inches.

It's a lot of text but it's a really simple thing.

This picture demonstrates it quite well. They added an extra baffle to prevent any bubbles from getting to the pump. Not necessary, but it works.

As to getting the water out of your tank and into the display, a drilled tank is the way to go. You can usually get a glass place to do this for you or a small fee. A 1.5 inch hole is fairly standard and should work for most applications. You will need a bulkhead and a baffle box for this. Drill the hole near the top of the tank, insert the bulkhead, and then attach the baffles.

PVC plumbing will need to be ran to the refugium. It can be a bit of a pain to get to work but just try it out dry fitting it before gluing it down.

The return pump, shoot for something that will give you at minimum 10x the volume of the refugium / sump per hour. Keep in mind that height will decrease the flow of the pump.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So about 200gph pump.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 29 gal nano and I don't have any of those. In reef keeping the simpler the better. I just do regular water changes and that's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I have a 29 gal nano and I don't have any of those. In reef keeping the simpler the better. I just do regular water change and that's it.
That works for you, but ever since I got my refugium running I haven't had a single positive nitrate reading. It's been a year and a half. I wouldn't trade my refugium for anything.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I def have some scum and algae. Feel sump can help.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

For large tank yes it is practical to have a sump/fuge and I have those in my 150 gal.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a 29 gal the 10 pc is just about 3 gal. You can do it even 2x a week and it is easier than maintaining those complicated equipment and still do the pwc.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I made a sump/fuge for my 60g cube. I split a 2' tank down the middle lengthwise. Right side is basically where water comes in through a sock, the skimmer is next. Front where the water wraps around has Chaeto and live rock and that goes back to the only chamber where the return pump is. Simple design, nitrates are always zero. Don't need bubble traps as the bubbles from the skimmer get eliminated going through all the rock and Chaeto.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would you def want the skimmer chamber before the fuge chamber? In the fuge should I have dsb or is rubble and cheato enough. Would a reg clip on desk light suffice?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com