Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis mcb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to build my refugium sump what style would work best and is there a step by step process?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The best thing to do is Google "build refugium sump" and a number of videos should come up. Watching s how to video is probably the way to go.

It's basically glueing some baffles. Not difficult.

Good luck!

Ok they say silicone won't stick to acrylic will scoring it help with bonding it? Cause trying to get glass cut is a hassle around here. Is a 20g big enough for my 125g?

A glass shop should cut you panels for cheap..Just bring the tank with you and tell them what you are doing. The last time I partitioned a 29 gallon, they charged me 30 bucks.
Silicone will stick to acrylic somewhat, but long term isn't not going to hold up like it would glass. Not to mention, unless you use thick pieces, it's going to bow, and that's what makes it slip away from the glass. I would use glass.
I would want the biggest sump I could fit in the stand or allotted space I had. A 55 would fit. A 20 is very limited.
The important question is, what are you going to use this sump for? A skimmer? A refugium? If so, you need ample space for these components.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422896019.859460.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422896042.119790.jpg
That's the space I'm working with its 5'x 16"x25"

Is a refugium necessary? And if so I would like to include it in the sump.

A refugium is not necessary, but it's good to have to help with filtration and allow critters to breed without being eaten. The 55 is the biggest you can fit. The skimmer you are going to need will go in the first section, the refugium will be in the second section, and the return area will be the third section. Between the second and third section it's good to make a bubble trap, which is a series of partitions installed to stop the bubbles from making it back to the display.
I suggest drilling this tank before you fill it with water. As scary as it may sound, it's a simple step and will save you aggravation down the road.
This company- Aquarium overflow box 700gph
Offers you everything you need including the bit to drill and install your gravity overflow.

I think I'm going to avoid the sump I do have a 55g but I would rather sell that whole set up. I'm pretty sketchy on drilling it cause it will cost me a ton to replace it.

Yeah I was looking at hob filter/skimmer. Any input on that? And a little explanation on how to set up that sump style on the plumbing?

Yeah I'm looking for a pretty clean set up underneath cause my son will mobile here before to long. And as you can see from the pictures it's pretty open.

Yeah I'm looking for a pretty clean set up underneath cause my son will mobile here before to long. And as you can see from the pictures it's pretty open.

If you intend on keeping that stand, then I would not advise getting a sump if you have little ones. I have a stand that has doors and I put those child latches to keep my mischievious kids from getting into my sump

Back
Top Bottom