sump and frag tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I plan on adding my sump within this month and was wondering if I could also attach this to the sump and also have it run with my 55 reef system and sump. I was going to set up a frag tank by itself but if I could set up this also as part as my 55 and sump it add more volume or should I just set up another tank?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151018914943

There are many people who run their frag tank off the sump of their DT.... Since you're using the same water, drip acclimation isn't required. Got a friend who does this, and he went as far getting the same LED light as his DT, and used a PAR meter to adjust it so even the lighting is the same intensity as mid & lower levels of his DT with two tiers of frag racks..... He can go into his DT, cut a frag, attach it to a plug, and drop it right into the frag tank.

Last edited:
What about that frag tank? Think its worth it? Looks decent I like the all black one but can't choose between that or the innovative marine 30? Would I be able to incorporate a all in one tank?

Honestly, I wouldn't pay that, unless you don't like messing with DIY. IF you choose to pick up something like that, yes, you can integrate that into your existing system. Either get a seperate return pump for it, or tap off of the existing return pump if it has enough power to handle both tanks.

I've been scouring the LFS's and craigslist myself to build a frag/prop tank, but it'll have it's own sump since I don't have one for my DT. I've picked up some great deals on used equipment like a 140w Taotronics LED, a 25g main tank, 20g long tank for the sump, heater & heater controller, just picked up a Mag 12 return pump today, and I've got just a little bit more into it than what they want for just that tank...... The frag racks can be built for a couple $$ out of pvc & eggcrate. The only thing I have left to do is build a stand, pick up a skimmer, drill the tank, and do the plumbing. For the whole system, I'll probably be about $350-$400 in.

Last edited:
Yea I have three 120 w taotronics now and only two go over my 55 this third one is what's making build a frag tank lol

Back
Top Bottom