Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2002, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sump and skimmer question

Well everyone thank you for your other help it is always most appreciated. Got another couple of questions. Surprise right? Is there some sort of rule of thumb to use when deciding what size of sump to have? Specifics on my setup will be a 72G BF as a reef tank with lr, ls and minimal fish. Trying to get an idea on how to size one. The other question I have right now is, has anyone used the Won Clean-Up skimmers? They sound too good to be true at $75 for 125gal capacity at http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/w...i/FYF-PR10.htm minus pump.

Thanks again,

oujeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:39 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
i dont know how good they are but fishsupply.com has the same thing for a nickle less. You could compare shipping and see if one is cheaper. heres the link.

michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 04:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj

I'm not familiar with that skimmer.
As for the sump size, bigger is better. I would get the largest one that would comfortably fit in the stand. One thing you need to look for is a sump that has the capacity to hold all the water that will run into it in the event of a power/pump failure. A larger sump also gives you plenty of room for equipment.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
My sump is an old 20 gal. tank and handles my 75 gal. reef and 15 gal. Refugium. I have read many posts where they are using rubbermaid containers they will work just as well. As for the protien skimmer I am not familar with the one you have posted. I am using the Berlin Turbo unit works great, Not saying its the best just works good for me.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote

skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com