Sump Critique/suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my final design for my 20gal sump....any suggestions or comments? This sump will be for a 55gal long FOWLR SW tank. I would like to slowly migrate to a reef tank in the future too. :)

Whats the purpose of the crushed coral? Over time the sadn and crushed coral will naturally change positions.

Do you have plans for an autotopoff in the return pump chamber. It looks like you will end up with only 2 or 3 gallons in the return chamber and your pobably gonna see upward to 1 gal a day in evaporation.

haven't thought of an auto top off, how do they work? Crushed coral has no purpose and can be left out. Any way to reduce the evaporation rate?

YOu could cover yoru tank with a tight fitting lid but its not recommended. Most of us salties run open top tanks to promote evaporation. Evaporation aids in keeping the tank cool as well as aids in gas exchange.

Autotop offs work by the use of a float switch. When the float drops to a preset level it activates a pump or is gravity fed and it adds water to the return chamber till the float rises to a predetermined cut off level.

The autotop off will just keep you from having to add topoff water daily.

diy topoff

I've seen a pic of one that's for sale that is basically a SEALED hard container with a tube coming out... the idea is that the tube is at the top of the water.... when the water level drops, it allows a bubble of air to go up the tube and displace a little water.

Seems risky to me, but if it works for you, let us know.

There are relatively inexpensive float valves such as:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004

Back
Top Bottom