Sump Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to sumps and I am currently "trying" to design and contruct on for my 75 gal reef. Unforunately not much will fit into my stand. So I've opted for a two 10 gallon tank idea.

This is how I thought it will work:
Water flows from the tank into the first 10 gal, which will be a refuge. This tank will be drilled and plumped to empty into the other ten gal which will just be a sump.

Attached is a chessy microsoft paint diagram of the proposed idea, Any feedback and advice would be great. Please remember this is first design and I am very new to sumps (still reading and learning about them).

Thanks in advance

Okay I'm having some difficulty attaching the file. I'll keep trying. I the meantime thoughts are still appreciated.

I'm in the middle of putting together the same set-up. I'll be using the old wet/dry filter for the sump/skimmer area and a 50 gallon tank for the refuge. My drain line is split: far left goes to fuge, far right goes to skimmer. From the skimmer, water goes through the bubble trap and then to the return pump section. I'll be joining the two tanks with piping and 1 inch bulkheads (fuge overflows into the return compartment).

This project has been momentarily derailed (broke my wrist last week). As soon as everything's up and running, I'll post some pics

Can't see the attachment -- what sort of file extension does MS Paint put out (jpeg/gif etc)?

Don't forget that images are limited sizewise.

You could try a 20 tall (or whatever fits best in your arrangement) like my set up if it would fit, see my gallery. I had the hardware store cut the glass dividers and the whole thing cost very little. Easy too.

Bummer, I have seen people prop up their stands and temporarily remove the center brace, seems like a lot of work but it depends how bad you want it.

If you are interested I have reposted this topic with the attachment. Please take look and let me know what you think! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom