sump design questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
since a 10 or a 15H is the biggest sump I can use under my stand, I'm trying to design a baffle system that makes the fuge as big as possible

I need a 4 to 6" wide return area to cover the 2.5 gal that 1" of water drop in the tank would create

I want to split the rest of the sump lengthwise with a piece of glass (or acrylic) that is lower than the top of the tank. I'll then drop the water from the tank into the small side of this section (say 3" wide), which will then spill over into the return section.

I'll then have a little PH pumping from this narrow channel into the bigger fuge section.

Is 3" big enough for a remora to hang on? can I make it smaller?

it seems that to do this right, I need to use acrylic baffles in a glass tank. What can I use to glue acrylic to glass?

In this design, is there any reason to have a seperate intake section? what would be the point?

honestly with a fuge that size its going to have very little impact on the acutal system. You would be better served by not trying to cram a little fuge and all the other items in the sump. If you really want a fuge you could do a hang on fuge but when it comes down to it the fuge will be less than 5gal in size probably and on a 50+ gal system thats just way to small to be very effective. IMO.

aren't most hang on fuges 3 gal or less?

I think I calculated that the fuge would be 6.5 gal or so.

Keep in mind a 10 gal sump will not want to have 10 gal of water in it. You need leave room for drainage when the pump is off.

You can use silicone to hold the baffles in place. I would think you would have to have an intake section or something to slow the water down. Hard for mw to visualize what you want though. Sorry I cant help more.

It also depends on your purpose of the fuge... is it primarily for nutrient export or pod reproduciton?

A small fuge is better than no fuge. Just stuff it with macro...

Yes, the fuge would be for macro and DSB. I'll try to draw what I'm thinking of... would a 2.5" pvc pipe with a cap on the bottom and holes drilled in it work for "slowing down" the water coming down from the tank?

Back
Top Bottom