Sump Designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterchief117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all,
i am working on designing a sump for my 55 gallon tank. It's going to be 10 gallons, have a space to but my bakpak skimmer, have enough room for 40lbs of aragonite sand, and a space for my heater. Can anybody show me a good diagram that they have found that might include some of these things that i have said. I can change the plan a little but i wnat something to go bye. Any help would be appricated.

Why 40lbs of sand?

I worry that your gonna have to much flow thru your sump and the sand is gonna end up all over the place.

One of the principles of a sump is that you can remove equipment like heaters and powerheads out of the main tank. Well to remove powerheads you have to provide a good source of water movement. To do that you need to get a sump pump that will give you this.

A flow rate of 10X the water capacity of your main tank is recommended to a 55 gal tank would shoot for 550 gal per hour of flow rate. When sizing pumps also have the head height measured. Find a pump that gives you atleast 10X flow rate at the head hight between yoru sump and the top of your tank.

If your wanting a refugium then maybe a 20 Long tank would do better for your sump. You could section off the sump to have a small area with lower flow for the refugium and then part of the sump for your heates, skimmer and the higher flow of yur sump returns and pump.

Back
Top Bottom