Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Salttanker you will need to add another divider on the end of the bubble trap...otherwise you will get a waterfall effect when evaporation comes out of the pump area.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agree with gooyferret that when your water in your return chamber goes lower, then the water fall might cause some bubbles effect, but you can adjust the level through the topoff system, then the bubbles may not be a big deal. But I would put it in.

In additional to all that had been said, you also need to think about how much gallons you do for your water changes. You don't want the return chamber to be too small such that every water changes, you need to shutdown the return pump. Ideally, you want your return chamber to be able to handle your water changes wihtout shutting down your system.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ideally, you want your return chamber to be able to handle your water changes wihtout shutting down your system.
gooyferret - My sump came with a micron sock filter. Can this be used in place of the bubble trap? Just curious.

Very good advice Boxster. I think I will just make this a Berlin sump with no fuge. This way, I will have plenty of water to work with without powering down everything for water changes, and not worrying if I have to leave for a few days at a time. Thanks again!

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mike: Don't quite understand your idea about Berlin Sump with no fuge. You mean your are going to take out the divider between the fuge and the reutrn chamber so that your sump is only 2 chamber?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct. I was toying with the idea of having a fuge in there, but I want to be able to have enough water to do water changes in there. If I did a fuge, it would be really small. Would it still be worth it?

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mike... any fuge is better than no fuge. But not at the expense of being able to add more LR Rubble, or having things cramped. It's up to you really... you could always add in an HOB fuge later if you wish. Just know that a tiny fuge might not lower your nitrates by a significant amount... it still would be a good place to harvest macro if you're feeding it to tangs, etc. Same for a small haven for pods, etc.

And don't worry about that waterfall sound... it's not a big deal really. But again, it's up to you. A sock is not the same as a bubble trap. Basically, the bubble trap is there so that no micro bubbles get back into your pump. It's next to impossible for an air bubble to go under water, and come up the other end w/o popping. A sock is merely there to catch small debris and such. HTH.

Happy building!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A sock is not the same as a bubble trap. Basically, the bubble trap is there so that no micro bubbles get back into your pump.
Thanks Rob. They sent me a sump with no documentation, so I have trying to figure out what goes where, etc. So the sock should catch the the debris from the 2 outlet pipes, which should be pointed towards the sock, correct?
I will try to add a fuge in there..I just think it would be somewhat beneficial to the fish; even if it is smaller than anticipated. Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote="RLG2182"]. It's next to impossible for an air bubble to go under water, and come up the other end w/o popping. HTH.

Not really true. It depends on the power of the return pump as well. I know this because this is what happened to my sump. I can see that the bubbles goes through the trap and ended at the bottom of my return chamber due to the high turnover rate of my return pump.

Mike: If you do not want to have a fuge, then you must carefully plan your plumbing such that your skimmer can take most of the raw water from the intake and processed it. This will help with processing the watse before it break down into nitrate and phosphate. Also, going with Berlin style, you want to "cook" your LR until it is clean first. Why not you update your drawing to include the new dimension of the fuge as well so we can have a better idea.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Correct... just make sure that you clean that sock out every week or so. The sock doesn't have to cover the two outlets with tape or glue or anything... the water should just be draining into the stock like a big strainer.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. If I do setup the fuge in regards to the dividers, I saw some at HD, but wasn't sure if these would work due to the thickness. They seem rather thin, so will this make a difference?
I am planning on getting a new skimmer that will be able to handle the load before the reef rubble.
Quote:
The sock doesn't have to cover the two outlets with tape or glue or anything... the water should just be draining into the stock like a big strainer.
Thanks Rob! That's what I though, but I wanted to make sure that would work.

Mike

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com