Sump Drilling Qs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

OK I was thinking of getting a 20 gallon sump.

Now I was thinking of drilling the 30 gallon and having a glass company do it.

My Q is... What would I do with the fish and stuff? Would the rock/sand/fish do fine in a rubbermaid bucket for a day or two until they get it drilled?

Also, does anyone know how MUCH they would charge to drill two holes?
I dont know if it is tempered or not.

Would you do two holes, one going down to the sump and one going to back to the tank? Or just one and have flexi tubing going back?

What if I change my mind, are drilled holes easy to plug?

Id say with how cheap 30 gallon tanks are, to just buy a second of the same dimensions and have it drilled then swap everything over, then sell the non drilled 30 gal or save it for a backup tank, QT tank, or a possible Frag tank. Thats what i would do personally.

OK that answers my containment Qs....

Could I do this?

Transfer everything to the 20, take the 30 to be drilled. When the 30 gets back, put everything back in the 30, then turn the 20 into a sump?

Of course it should work. The real question is, is it worth the risk? Moving critters like that can be stressful. Hate to see an outbreak of ich or something worse happen over getting a couple holes drilled. Have you considered overflows or maybe a HOB fuge? I would call the glass place you have in mind and find out if your talking 1 day, 1 week or 1 month to get the tank back.

Best of Luck!

The bottom of the tank may also be tempered... which I think most are. If that is the case, I don't even think a glass company can drill. But I may be wrong.

For the cost and your labor for the drilling scenario, purchasing a new tank and having it drilled, or purchasing a RR 30, may be your best option.

Aany Aquarium people in your area? I had a guy drill my 20L for free. Only really need 1 hole and it can be towards the top. Not sure if the Hex tank would be harder to drill though.

More water volume is nice but sometimes it is just not feasible. Don't have to have a sump.

Back
Top Bottom