Sump fillers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, when i cut it should I take it to the lfs for a couple bucks or just toss it?

That's up to u I throw mine away mine wants me to give it to them or don't really give me anything for it but they want to charge me 10 dollars for it

Ok, can you Post a couple more pics of your refugium? I mean closer ones

Alright thanks, I'm trying to make a list of things I'm gonna need to buy an hopefully I can have a running refugium up by this weekend!

Tad late to this party, but I have seen people turn that same model of sump into a fuge in the past. Should be a pretty easy switch by just replacing the bioballs with a handful of cheato. I didn't see a finished discussion on your lighting, all you need is a simple PC light for it. If the top of your sump isn't glass, as I believe that it isn't, you can get a simple clip on light at either your hardware store or pet store. It has got hard to find the cheap clip on lights at some hardware stores, which is why I'm mentioning going to the pet store and getting a reptile light. Same light setup they just use a UV bulb in them. Simple switch out of bulbs if it even comes with one at all.

Though, if you want to get a piece of glass for on top this is also simple. Lowes will cut pieces of glass for you for super cheap. This is where I got the glass for the sump I just made. Then while you are there, you can see if they have a cheap work light! Good luck, I still haven't found one so I'm reusing my old reptile light, just getting another piece of glass as a "top" for it.

That's what I said use a clip on light from home depot and it looked to me like he could use his sump I wouldn't go buy anything except a light it would probably be Cheaper at a local hardware store

Sniperhank said:
Tad late to this party, but I have seen people turn that same model of sump into a fuge in the past. Should be a pretty easy switch by just replacing the bioballs with a handful of cheato. I didn't see a finished discussion on your lighting, all you need is a simple PC light for it. If the top of your sump isn't glass, as I believe that it isn't, you can get a simple clip on light at either your hardware store or pet store. It has got hard to find the cheap clip on lights at some hardware stores, which is why I'm mentioning going to the pet store and getting a reptile light. Same light setup they just use a UV bulb in them. Simple switch out of bulbs if it even comes with one at all.

Though, if you want to get a piece of glass for on top this is also simple. Lowes will cut pieces of glass for you for super cheap. This is where I got the glass for the sump I just made. Then while you are there, you can see if they have a cheap work light! Good luck, I still haven't found one so I'm reusing my old reptile light, just getting another piece of glass as a "top" for it.

Ok I'm gonna have to replace the white plastic top with a plexiglass piece so light can shine through and your Lowes cuts actual glass or plexiglass? Mine won't cut actual glass

I mostly need help trying to figure out how I can put sand in there or even if I should, should I??

J33p you say you regret it..why?

Yeah I'm gonna have to save up to buy bulbs haha these are 4 96 watt PC bulbs so there 36.99 each at my lfs so it's gonna cost me a shiny penny to get them all replaced!

Just cut a round hole go get one of those lights find the width and cut the hole then it would be water tight still

J33ps said:
Just cut a round hole go get one of those lights find the width and cut the hole then it would be water tight still

Do I really need to cut a hole for it?
Couldn't I just place it on top of the plexiglass?

Ok I'm gonna have to replace the white plastic top with a plexiglass piece so light can shine through and your Lowes cuts actual glass or plexiglass? Mine won't cut actual glass

I mostly need help trying to figure out how I can put sand in there or even if I should, should I??

J33p you say you regret it..why?

Yeah I'm gonna have to save up to buy bulbs haha these are 4 96 watt PC bulbs so there 36.99 each at my lfs so it's gonna cost me a shiny penny to get them all replaced!

Sand in the sump can make it difficult for cleaning if needed. I would take a picture of the sump I am replacing, it is filled with junk on the bottom. Because it was a premade setup I couldn't clean it due to pieces of plastic being in the way. If you have enough sand and rock in your DT, as mostly everyone does by the point where they want a sump/fuge setup there is no need for either in the fuge. The only reason I have rock in my fuge is to keep rubble alive for when I get a new coral that needs a base.

Where are you looking at bulbs? That is redic. Just get yourself a cheap work light and either clip it onto the side of the sump or get a piece of glass cut for it. I can't fathom your Lowes not doing glass, they all have a glass cutting station. If your work light doesn't come with a light, then put one of your home light bulbs in. Growing algae is easy, they do not care what kind of light it is as long as it is light.

Sand in sump or fuge is no good hard to clean so much easier to clean with nothing but cheato algae in there then I'm trying to save u money if you cut a round hole for one of those clip on light medal ones from lowes you can put that right on top no need for plexy or glass save your money I used a florescent bulb 14 watt because they never get hot and it works great for growing cheato I don't know if you were talking about new light for your display tank or what

Sniperhank said:
Sand in the sump can make it difficult for cleaning if needed. I would take a picture of the sump I am replacing, it is filled with junk on the bottom. Because it was a premade setup I couldn't clean it due to pieces of plastic being in the way. If you have enough sand and rock in your DT, as mostly everyone does by the point where they want a sump/fuge setup there is no need for either in the fuge. The only reason I have rock in my fuge is to keep rubble alive for when I get a new coral that needs a base.

Where are you looking at bulbs? That is redic. Just get yourself a cheap work light and either clip it onto the side of the sump or get a piece of glass cut for it. I can't fathom your Lowes not doing glass, they all have a glass cutting station. If your work light doesn't come with a light, then put one of your home light bulbs in. Growing algae is easy, they do not care what kind of light it is as long as it is light.

So you say no sand? Yea i have about a 3 inch sans bed so im all good there i just want my refugium to work to its full potential...i probably keep a few small pieces in the refugium too in case i need some like you were saying and to just add some more to the system

An they arw at a LFS near me. Yep I thought my Lowes would too and I went there and the only do plexiglass but there is a place called binswanger glass that can cut it anyway for me
Does those metal round work lights get real hot though? An I was thinking about using a fluorescent bulb to save energy costs and heat

No they don't it's the bulb that makes stuff hot if u get a florescent it will not its up to you if you want glass you don't need it they will do just as good if you cut the plastic you have now save you money for the fish you have to get lol!!! Just mine oppion and what u have right now is water tight so that would help you to

J33ps said:
Sand in sump or fuge is no good hard to clean so much easier to clean with nothing but cheato algae in there then I'm trying to save u money if you cut a round hole for one of those clip on light medal ones from lowes you can put that right on top no need for plexy or glass save your money I used a florescent bulb 14 watt because they never get hot and it works great for growing cheato I don't know if you were talking about new light for your display tank or what

Oh well the power compact lights I was talking about we're for my display tank but I don't know where I can find a place that can cut a perfect circle in the middle of the plastic piece

It doesn't have to be perfect cut a square with a skill saw or use a drill draw a circle or trace the medal light come in a half in or so drill holes every 1/8 in all the way around and use a knife and pop in throw

Use small sharp drill bits so it don't break it put some wood under it for support so it doesn't crack

Or a grinder with a cut off wheel the only one that will ever see it is you and the algae the algage don't care if its perfect lol

Back
Top Bottom