Sump fillers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey there I have a 20 gallon 3 chamber sump on my 75 gallon tank and all I have in there is a protein skimmer, bio balls and a sponge thingy between second and third chamber...what else can I put in here?
I don't wanna go spend a couple more hundred dollars but I want to buy what is best for my tank but not so outrageous..any ideas?

How many total pounds of live rocks do you have in your system? Perhaps you could add a refugium for growing algae.

I just got rid of my sump on made a refuge for algae my tank is cleaner and so much better looking all around I should of done it years ago

Terrance said:
How many total pounds of live rocks do you have in your system? Perhaps you could add a refugium for growing algae.

Well I have about 30 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds of base rock that has been together for a month now so I bet it has already seeded haha
In a refugium will I need a light to keep the plants growing? And could I put them under my bio balls or where would they need to go?

A fuge u would have to make a hole otther tank I used a ten gal and yea for the light I bought a metal shop light the ones u get a home depot for like ten bucks and a holgen bulb

Ok well I don't have room for another tank under my stand, you guys wouldn't recommend trying to put it in my sump?
What about taking out the bio balls and only using the macro algae

It works just not as good I would take the bio balls out anyways there r nitrate factory's to get the true effect of a fuge u really need space

If possible, ditch the bioballs since you have live rocks serving the same purpose. Can you show pics of your sump? Perhaps we can see if it can fit a refugium area.

Yep there you go, don't know if all sumps are like this but the overflow is on the left and return is on the right

Ya you could get rid of the bio balls and put some cheato algae in there but u would have to figure out how to get light in there

J33ps said:
Ya you could get rid of the bio balls and put some cheato algae in there but u would have to figure out how to get light in there

Okay what if I take that white plasctic cover off and replace it with some equal thickness plexiglass and just put a shop light of the same width over the plexiglass? Would that work?

Yes that would work I used a clamp on medal shop light and florscent light bulb 5000k 14 watt but the problem is you have to change your filter it will be in the way by looking at the pic

Are you talking about the blue and white plastic thing? And what's the difference between Macro algae and chaeto?

It seems like your drain line is connected to that white top. Instead of replacing it, you could also cut a square hole to make it look like this:
21171015.png

Then you could just put a light right over the the square hole.

You would also have to remove the filter pad tray, which you will lose your mechanical filtration. Is there anything in the chamber where the heater sits? Seems like a tight fit to add a skimmer in your sump. You would have to add it to the last chamber.

Another option is to set this wet/dry filter and use the money to set up a bigger sump. You will earn enough money to buy a 40g or 55g tank and add all the chambers. Most people build their sump/refugium around the skimmer.

When I did it I cut my return pipe out and extended it and put a filter sock on it better filter then what u put in the filter try I would guess I know it was for mine

Terrance said:
It seems like your drain line is connected to that white top. Instead of replacing it, you could also cut a square hole to make it look like this:
Then you could just put a light right over the the square hole.

You would also have to remove the filter pad tray, which you will lose your mechanical filtration. Is there anything in the chamber where the heater sits? Seems like a tight fit to add a skimmer in your sump. You would have to add it to the last chamber.

Another option is to set this wet/dry filter and use the money to set up a bigger sump. You will earn enough money to buy a 40g or 55g tank and add all the chambers. Most people build their sump/refugium around the skimmer.

What do you mean drain line is connected to that white top? The white top is just a piece of plastic, nothing connecting to it, here is a picture

The filter pad tray has holes are you sure I would need to remove it?
Yes, the skimmer is in the left chamber with the heater and pump

Back
Top Bottom