Sump for 20 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am moving soon so my 60 gal FO will become 2-20 gallon reefs. The reason for this is space. One of these will be at my dads house and he wants to go all out. I want to get a sump going for him, would a 10 gal aquarium work? I dont need all that mechanical/chemical filtration with as reef setup, right? Any advise or examples of what you guys have used would be great. Also, this 60 gal has been up for over 6 months now, if I move this stuff (LR/LS) and keep it live, then I shoud be able to add corals, etc, relatively soon, right?

THanks, B.

Sure a 10 gal would work for the sump. If you wanted you could even just a rubbermaid tub. The only real thing you should have is a skimmer on the sump for your reef. no need for a UV or anything else like that.

You could add corals and whatnot after the tanks been moved and your water conditions have proven to be stable. Moving a tank can sometimes cause some fluxuations in water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom