Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sump for 20 gallons tank???

I have a 20 gallons tank currently with a clown fish, a blenny and 6 lps corals. I have two questions
1/ do I need a sump? Can I do a 5 gallons sump mainly for a refugium
2/ I'm thinking of adding a blue tang, yellow tang, Atlantic blue tang, flame angel, four chromis, fire shrimp, goby and more corals. Is that too much? What should I not get???

Thank you so much for your time

Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishiefishie View Post
I have a 20 gallons tank currently with a clown fish, a blenny and 6 lps corals. I have two questions
1/ do I need a sump? Can I do a 5 gallons sump mainly for a refugium
2/ I'm thinking of adding a blue tang, yellow tang, Atlantic blue tang, flame angel, four chromis, fire shrimp, goby and more corals. Is that too much? What should I not get?

Thank you so much for your time
Okay im not a salty expert but I can answer a few. No you dont NEED a sump. If you want one for a refugium great. They are awesome if done right and are fairly simple to build if you go that route

You can do the goby and shrimp and definitely more corals but, the corals will be defined depending on your light. What light are you running?

I dont know about the tangs. If im not mistaken, they need more room.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hoping your joking about the stock list! You could maybe add a goby or two and then you are maxed, fill her up with corals though and some cool shrimp.
You don't need a sump on that size tank, they are always beneficial though. What type of filtration are you currently using? Is it a newly set up tank?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

In regards to the Tangs...you can scratch all of them off your list. You would need at least a 75 Gallon tank to keep the yellow tang and then it goes up from there.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Hoping your joking about the stock list! You could maybe add a goby or two and then you are maxed, fill her up with corals though and some cool shrimp.
You don't need a sump on that size tank, they are always beneficial though. What type of filtration are you currently using? Is it a newly set up tank?
Lol I meant to put or between those tangs. I have a eheim hang on filter. I had it as a 5 gallons, just transferred them to the 20 gallons. I'm thinking to use my 5 gallons as a refugium. How should I set up or put together my refugium if I decided to do it??? Thank so much for your feedback
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Okay im not a salty expert but I can answer a few. No you dont NEED a sump. If you want one for a refugium great. They are awesome if done right and are fairly simple to build if you go that route

You can do the goby and shrimp and definitely more corals but, the corals will be defined depending on your light. What light are you running?

I dont know about the tangs. If im not mistaken, they need more room.
I have a T-5, is that enough??? I'm planning to only add easy corals and mostly lps. Greatly appreciate your feed back.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishiefishie View Post

I have a T-5, is that enough??? I'm planning to only add easy corals and mostly lps. Greatly appreciate your feed back.
What temp are the bulbs? Is it a 20long or high
Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still no tangs in a 20g I am afraid. With the two fish you have only one or two small fish and you're at your limit. There was a thread on here recently about refugium, what do you want it for? To house or grow pods? Or for nitrate removal? I believe it would be more trouble than its worth to set up, being so small I don't think it would actually benefit your tank that much.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com