Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sump for an idiot.

ME. I have my 125 I'll be setting up hopfully by the end of next week. I want to use my 29 as a sump or whatever, the problem is there are no holes drilled in either tank. I am looking some one to help and guide me on this unknown path and since I'm from the south and can't read, pictures would be nice.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

HOB overflow is all you need for the display. Then put a pump in the sump and tube it all up and you are ready.

Might want to check out the Durso standpipe as well. I think ebay has decent prices on overflows. You need to try and get one to flow as much as the pump you want to run. I assume with a big tank like that a big mag pump would be needed(9.5, 12 or similar)

Old 06-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I appreciate that, I'm just dumb I guess. I don't understand the concept of how it all hooks up/

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I recently up-graded my reef and the new tank I bought was reef-ready. When I bought the sump it came with an external overflow that I do not need. I would be happy to send it to you if you want it. It is just sitting here not being used so it would be nice to give it to someone who could use it. Send me a PM if you are interested. Thanks! Lando
Old 06-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
On the left you can see the inside portion of an overflow box.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=542&page=1

The item to the left is a sump with a skimmer.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=542&page=3

The overflow has a portion that is inside the tank and a portion thats outside the tank. Water goes up and over the tank via the overflow and then down a drain into the sump. From there its pumped back up into the tank via return plumbing.

Read my article in the articles area for a more detailed breakdown on the basics.

A sump could even be as simple as a rubbermaid tub.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=542&page=4

The bright colored box in this photo is another stle of overflow.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=542&page=6

In this photo you cant see the overflow but you can see the sump/refuge that they have and how they acutally split the two with a bit of glass. You cans ee the pump and the return plumbing.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=542&page=7

Another example of a simple plastic tub sump.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=542&page=9

Finally here are some photos of an overflow/sump setup on my 80 gal tank.

http://www.vafishfreek.com/gallery/v...me=Sump_Photos

AGain all of these are to give you the general idea as to how they go together. A more handsone deal is needed to really master the concept.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow that's alot of info. Thanks. So let me see if I understand this, all I need is an overflow, something to make a sump out of and a pump to pump the water back up hill? How do we keep the water from overfilling the sump?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The pump has to keep running You need a siphon break to keep the overflow from emptying the tank when the pump is off.

The overflow has to be able to keep up with the pump.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great, now how do I make a siphon break? Is that where I drill a holw in the pipe somewhere?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-16-2004, 09:13 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
yes. a small hole just below the water surface of the tank on your return line.

Always size your overflow to drain more water than your pump can pump. Your overflow will only drain as much was as the sump pumps puts into the tank. When the pump stops the overflow will flow a few gal of water and stop.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com