Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Sump for Idiots

I have to convert my FW tank to a sump (the heater blows a fuse everytime it turns on, due to my new MH lighting, and my brother is starting up a FW tank, so he can take the fish).

Anyways so all I have is a 55 gallon tank and I guess I have to buy an overflow since my tank is not predrilled.

Anyone have a guide on how to set up a sump for idiots? I've never dealt with plumbing and don't want to flood the apartment.

NightSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Check our articles for some basic what is a sump info.

Yes you will need an overflow if your tanks not drilled or if your going to be taking yoru tank down you could take it to a glass shop and have them drill it assuming its not tempered glass.

What you will need will be the following.

PVC plumbing (size the plumbing diamater based upon your overflow drain and your pumps return size)
Assorted fittings (your gonna have to map out the route your pvc will take and get the right elbows and whatnot)
PVC glue
Return pump (I like mag pumps)
1 way flapper valve (this is to help prevent a backwash of water from your tank to your sump in the event of a power outage)
Assorted ball valves (place these before and after the above valve and also between your pump and the plumbing so you can replace those parts easily
True unions (these allow you to take stuff out of the plumbing loop by just unsrewing the connections)
SUMP vessle

Thats the jist of it.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Check this site out:
greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Night sprit, pm me with your address, I'll give you an overflow, you will need the return stuff and the overflow is only good for 400 to 500 gph. My mag 9.5 is pushing a whole lot more than that, I had to ge a duel overflow.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com