sump/ fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 long reef tank. I here sumps and fuges are good for your tank but i dont get what they are. Could someone explain. Also how would i go about making one or the other?

There is a ton of information on this site about them as well as lots of build threads and examples of sumps. In a nutshell, you are creating a complete eco system by running water through chambers filled with plants that will help break down waste and help with the nitrogen cycle. Macro algae and bottom dwells as well as rock for bacteria can all live within the sump and do their job without being seen in the main display tank.

no. I tried to make a pod tank once and it didnt work out so theres no way you could get and sustain enough pods in a 20g tank

It's a shame, I like mandarins(and dwarf angels, butterdlys Tangs and reef lobsters)

I know. I hd to wait to get my tangs til I upgraded to the 125g. I started with a 29g tank too. thought when I got the 55g I would be able to keep a yellow tang but I was wrong. So i had to start again on a new tank. LOL

Just as an added FYI, a sump doesn't necessarily always have to contain plants/lr etc. I've seen plenty of systems where the sump is basically just a place for water to cycle through a sack (removing any large detritus that drops through the overflow) and get run through the skimmer (removing protein matter). It's also a good place to put a sack of phosguard etc as needed.

Mine started out like that until I got a light fixture for my sump and tossed some LR in there.

Just as an added FYI, a sump doesn't necessarily always have to contain plants/lr etc. I've seen plenty of systems where the sump is basically just a place for water to cycle through a sack (removing any large detritus that drops through the overflow) and get run through the skimmer (removing protein matter).

Very true but the original question asked about fuges so I just went there. You can build a sump just for mechanical filtering or just to add volume to the whole system if you want.

You bet - was just throwing it out there. I have enough LR in my display tank that I didn't even really need it in the sump - just threw it in there because, hey, can't do any harm, right? :)

My favorite moment was when I found the 6 inch bristle worm climbing around in there as I was reaching in for the bag of phosguard. Yea, didnt like that much.

Back
Top Bottom