sump/fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymit21

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i currently only have a 55g FW but i have been reading nonstop about SW for about 6 months now. I've already picked out fish, corals, etc.. in my future tanks...... However this may sound dumb ..... What is a sump/fuge exactly? everyone always explains that they have one and how big it/they should be but what are they?????

sorry if this sounds stupid but i wanna know as much as possible before i actually start buying stuff so i have everything i need beforehand and no surprises that will hurt my lil guys

A refuge is basicly a saltwater setup that is special purpose. For example the most common refuge is one that is built to grow macro algae. This macro algae then exports nutrients out of the water. At the same time as the algae is grown it can be harvested and feed to fish like tangs or angels. A refuge is best when its setup with out preditors of what ever your trying to keep i the refuge. So you would nto put alge eating fish in a refuge with macro algae. Refuges can also be a great place to have amphipods and copepods grow because there is ample hiding spaces and no natural preditors existing within the fuge.

thank you both..........that actually helped out alot! now i know what you guys are talking about and what the heck to look for when i'm looking at others' working tanks! :) much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom