Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sump GPH requirement?

I have a 29G which I plan on having a 10G sump. I would like to locate my heater and skimmer in the sump. What is the minimum GPH I need to flow to have the skimmer/heater work efficiently? (I need to know how big of a pump to get)

Old 03-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
My sump turns my entire tank volume about 4.5 times an hour. I then suppliment turnover in the aquarium with 4 maxijet 1200's on a redsea wavemaster pro. This gives me around 13 - 14 times per hour total. I am not factoring in the pumps for my fuge (rio 2100) or my PS (dolphin 560) as I am not sure they count tword turnover. HTH

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I would pump about 300 gph through it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump pump size

Hey, that's a coincidence! I just completed adding a sump to my 30gal...a very similar situation.

Even having done it, I don't know what my GPH actually is. I learned a lot about head pressure. In my case, I needed a 750 GPH pump in order to get an estimated 300 GPH actual flow. That's key... you can't determine what GPH you are going to get from a pump just by looking at the rating. You need to estimate your head pressure, which reduces the flow accordingly.

In the end, I had to throttle the pump back slightly because I was pushing my overflow box a bit hard. So I might be at 200 GPH. The tank could easy take more than that. It isn't like 200GPH is causing too much water circulation in the tank or anything.

I also have supplemental 60GPH power head in the tank for additional water movement. If it didn't clutter up the tank, I would consider even another powerhead in the tank.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Cunch Send a message via AIM to Cunch Send a message via MSN to Cunch Send a message via Yahoo to Cunch
Whats the distance from your sump to the tank?? In regards to obtaining a 300gph from a 750gph pump?

Cunch

Tags
gph, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com