Sump help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frankie_Garcia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 10gal sump on my 29gal soft reef tank, in my sump I have a sand bed with some live rock and macro algae. I was wondering if it would be okay to get rid of the sand bed, put nothing but live rock rubble and leave the macro algae. I also have a bag of purigen and chemipure elite in my sump.

I don't think that little bit of sand is providing anything helpful. The LR provides bio filtration and the macro will help with nutrient export. Remember to kill the return pump or you may cause a dust storm when removing the sand.

Is that a foam pad between the baffles? That pad may cause nitrates if not properly cleaned. Is it there to prevent bubbles from going into the next section?
I would say yes, remove the sand and add some more rock/rubble (if you want) to that fuge section with the chaeto.

Are you trying to add more rock to the system or just move some from the display to the sump?

Yes that is a foam pad, but it is replaced every month. I haven't seen any change in my water tests.

I'm wanting to add live rock rubble. Not take any from my main tank!

I would be cautious with that filter pad. I run a filter sock that I change every three days.

As for adding rubble, go ahead. Make sure it's cured and leave room for the chaeto.

What makes you want to add more rock?

Well the sand has a lot of detritus build up and I've been reading to where sand is useless in a sump and people add rubble for better filtration.

My tank is thriving but idk if I shoul change or not.

Back
Top Bottom