Sump leak help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't figure out how to fix this problem. I have a 30 gallon sump that gets all the inside of my stand wet. I thought I had a leak but its not leaking anywhere. When I keep my stand doors open I don't have this problem. If I keep the doors closed everything gets wet including my power supply. Has anyone else had this problem?

image-1205099612.jpg

This is my drain / first chamber / protein skimmer. This is where most of the inside if the stand gets wet.

image-1512089584.jpg

This is the second chamber / refugium.

image-3444189940.jpg

Last chamber.

Is this a recent problem? Judging by the rust on the lamp, your refugium has been up and running for a while. If you have a small leak, it has been my experience that salt creep will lead you too the culprate. This sound more like an evaporation issue or possible the fan is blowing water out. Also, it looks like your power strip/timer is on top. Is that getting wet?

edit: just remembered, the rubber gasket on my phosban 150 started leaking once. It caused everything on the floor level in my stand to get damp. I now choose to run my phosban from within my sump, however, i can see you do not have that kind of room!

Yes my power strip is getting wet. I also believe its an evaporation problem. I just don't know how to fix it. The right side if my stand stays pretty dry for the most part so the evaporation is mostly from my first chamber where my skimmer is.

I would solve this quickly, the wet power strip is a accident waiting to happen.
It sounds like skimmer exhaust. Is this cabinet vented? If not, I would add some nice vents and even a small fan. That should cure the buildup of moisture problem.

Think what that skimmer does, it produces wet foam. That foam disintegrates into very moist air and exits the skimmer. In a closed cabinet, that air gets recycled and picks up even more moisture each time thru the skimmer.

Last edited:
Yes my power strip is getting wet. I also believe its an evaporation problem. I just don't know how to fix it. The right side if my stand stays pretty dry for the most part so the evaporation is mostly from my first chamber where my skimmer is.

I am going to agree with Gregcoyote. If your power strip is getting wet, then it is more than likely not a leak. Either your skimmer is creating wet exhaust, or your fan is. If your stand stays dry with the door open, i also second adding vents. However, be-careful not to drill or cut any stress points on your stand.

It is better to go this route rather than picking up mold or rot damage.

The stand only has two small holes to let the power cables in. It's not vented and I do have a small fan. How would you add some vents? Do I cut some holes through the stand?

The stand only has two small holes to let the power cables in. It's not vented and I do have a small fan. How would you add some vents? Do I cut some holes through the stand?
Yes, again, i cant stress this enough. DO NOT CUT into the stress points. You do not want to chance buckling the stand. It would be best to remove the aquarium before you cut.

If the stand is sheeted with plywood, it is a simple process of buying some nice vent covers (in wood?) at the local hardware store. They come in all sizes and colors. Just be sure when making the vent holes to not hit any supports that bear the weight of the tank. You can do this with a hole saw and make either one large hole, or several smaller ones that the vent cover will hide. One this is done, a small fan can circulate the air and keep the moisture level down.

Even better, put the vents in the doors, they bear no weight and can be removed for the installation.

Send us some pictures before you cut the holes.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea. I'll check HD to see what wooden vents they have and I'll add one on each door. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom