sump mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusAaron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Im thinking of pulling my sump apart so i have a refugium in the middle. This is how it come to me.. It has a octopus vortex 1500: ventu 200 skimmer at one end and a 5000 lph return pump at the other. It is going to be a predator fowlr.

ForumRunner_20120916_171012.jpg

This is how i think i would like it.. Any ideas or help muchly appreciated

ForumRunner_20120916_173836.jpg

There are a few elements I would b concerned with. First would be the length of time it takes your skimmed water to reach your return pump. The refuguim in the middle I feel would slow it down (make dead spots). The other concern I have is once you have a light running on the refugium consistently will it create algae with any dead spots. I'm not saying it won't work, I just wanted to express my concerns.

Oh k cheers. Dont most refugiums go in the middle? Just looking at the best way to set it up so i dont want it changed down the track. I probably dont need one but i feel i want one..

Yes your setup is fine. You may want to add one more baffle for the water to go under into the return section. As evaperation occures the water level will drop in the return section. The way you have it it will spill over louder and louder as the level gets lower.

Another setup is to have the return in the center and the overflow from the tank split and controled with valves this allows for diffrent flow rates to the fuge and skimmer.

Good one... Thanks for that. Never thought of that. It would get quite noisy

AusAaron said:
Hey guys. Im thinking of pulling my sump apart so i have a refugium in the middle. This is how it come to me.. It has a octopus vortex 1500: ventu 200 skimmer at one end and a 5000 lph return pump at the other. It is going to be a predator fowlr.

This is how i think i would like it.. Any ideas or help muchly appreciated

Agree with angelfish heres a pic of mine

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 134
danbstrong said:
Agree with angelfish heres a pic of mine

Nice. So refugium on the end with overflow running into each end and return in the middle.. I think i can do that

AusAaron said:
Nice. So refugium on the end with overflow running into each end and return in the middle.. I think i can do that

Acually on mine its overflow into skimmer on one end then into middle which is return the return pumps back to dt and also to fuge then back to return this gives you control over flow thru fugi

danbstrong said:
Acually on mine its overflow into skimmer on one end then into middle which is return the return pumps back to dt and also to fuge then back to return this gives you control over flow thru fugi

Ah k. That sounds spot on. I think ill adjust mine to that. Awesome. Thanks for the pic

And my tank is drilled. One large hole one small. Large obviously overflow and small return. I was planning on running my return up other end of tank. Do i just use the hole as a second overflow

danbstrong said:

Like this? I like this setup.. Might b the one for me
ForumRunner_20120917_113953.jpg

AusAaron said:
Like this? I like this setup.. Might b the one for me

With a gravity overflow i dont see much water actually goin to fugi in this pic imo theres really nothing to push it jmo

danbstrong said:
With a gravity overflow i dont see much water actually goin to fugi in this pic imo theres really nothing to push it jmo

Whichever suits your needs tho

danbstrong said:
Ill b using a seperate overflow for the fuge. Ill use the return hole thats in the overflow so i can run the return straight up the back from the pump. I assume ones for return anyhow

This is my plan. Any comments and suggestions very welcome. Kinda did my head in but i think i have what i want. Pick up glass for the chambers and hopefully plumbing tomoz so will b able to start a build thred. Yay

ForumRunner_20120917_170825.jpg

Also what's a good overflow setup that people have found successfully.

No the drawing in post #11 won't work well. you need to split the drain pipe higher and angle down. A "y" connector would be best or a "t" with 45*s.

angelfish4 said:
No the drawing in post #11 won't work well. you need to split the drain pipe higher and angle down. A "y" connector would be best or a "t" with 45*s.

Im gonna go with the one i drew on post 15. Do u think ill need to angle the overflow to the fuge on that one or should it b ok. Thanks

I would bring the drain to the fuge down diagonaly not down then accross.

Back
Top Bottom