Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
fish
So basically add a second return line and below the ball valve and have 2 returns instead of one?? This wont overload the main tank I assume as the drain going to the sump will only be one instead of 2? If this is so, kudos to you!!! Just want to make sure I dont overdo it on the return.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
no no no.

From the pump have a single line. Then split this off with a T connector. Position the T so the stright thru part is going up and the leg going off to the side is either to the left or right of the pump. What ever way you have more of the sump. Above the T put a ball valve to control flow to the main tank return. Also put a ball valve on the side leg of the T. Then plumb the side leg of the T to dump directly back INTO the sump.

You only have 1 line going up to the tank and the rest of the water that the pump is pumping just circulates back into the sump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I see...BUT would it not work to have 2 return lines back up to the tank? Take your same setup and instead of running the t side back into the sump, run it to the other end of the tank...in other words have 1 return at one end of the tank and one at the other.
I do see what your saying now. I just thought it would be nice to have 2 returns for more circulation. But I do see it might overload the tank...so f I do it the way you are saying, it will not overload the sump?
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sure you can have two return dumps in the tank but take that single feed going up above the ball valve and split it again. If you dont have a 'bleeder' line dumping back into the sump you will have to throttle back that pump a fair amount causing excessive heat and wear on the pump. No mater how many outlets you have if you dont have a bleeder your still putting more water in the tank than your overflow will remove.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish
Got it...ok so I can have 2 return lines to the main tank and then one bleeder back into the sump. BUT I will have 2 T's in the equation, 1 ball valve, 1 bleeder back into the sump, and 2 return lines. So basically come out of the pump into a T, the straight part going up towards the tank and the bleeder heading back into the sump. The install a ball valve above the 1st T, the above the ball valve have another T, with one going to one side of the tank and another to the opposite side of the tank. I think this is it...Thanks for the help and let me know if Im still missing something..
Old 09-24-2004, 10:33 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I belive if you read up I suggest at least two ball valves. One on the bleader feed and one on the return line. Its hard to have to many ball valves.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok...maybe I missed on then. I will put 2 in...thanks!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fishman, not to step on fishfreeks toes, (everything he has told you is correct) but check out this page...
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html
lots of good info!

140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, overflow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com