Originally Posted by Dav3
If the back part of your overflow isn't overflowing then the line down to the sump isn't the issue.The hair algae in the overflow box and u tube is probably your issue.. Scrub off the hair algae and you should be good to go.
That's exactly what I think caused my problem, I believe the u-tube was too restricted causing the poor performance and eventual siphon loss. When my siphon broke I cleaned the u-tube out and its been working much better. I haven't been home much the last few days so I'm hesitant to say flow is back to previous levels. Tonight is going to be the night I open the ball valve and dial it back appropriately.
Thanks for the tips and help eveyone!