sump performance declining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been running a sump for about 8 months with only a couple .of hickups early on. I've notices recently that I'm getting very poor flow from my overflow box (hob) to my sump. I have to keep throttling back my return pump, more and more.
Is it comon to have to clean your hoses or replace them? If so how often? Are my problems bigger than I believe they are? Has anyone run into something similar?
Ps - its not a snail or anything like that, I built an overflow silencer which basically doesn't allow anything smaller than 3/32 into it. Well I hope.its not a snail

I only get algae in 2 places in my entire system now. The sump grows chaeto algae like mad and my corner overflow gets hair algae. It restricts one of my 2 overflow pipes , but as I have a dual drain pipe system it's no problem.
Id bet you are getting algae in your drain as well. any chance of covering it so light doesn't get in there?

my hob overflow started getting slow recently and with it's design there's really no way to clean the inside which was getting choked with algae, my cheap solution was to put duct tape over the area with the most light and heaviest growth it took less than a week to start skimming surface film again and is getting better flow everyday

I only get algae in 2 places in my entire system now. The sump grows chaeto algae like mad and my corner overflow gets hair algae. It restricts one of my 2 overflow pipes , but as I have a dual drain pipe system it's no problem.
Id bet you are getting algae in your drain as well. any chance of covering it so light doesn't get in there?

I do have hair algae in the overflow box and in the "u" shaped piece but nowhere else. The tube between the overflow and the sump is dark grey and doesn't let light in. Maybe I have a critter in there gumming up the works?

my hob overflow started getting slow recently and with it's design there's really no way to clean the inside which was getting choked with algae, my cheap solution was to put duct tape over the area with the most light and heaviest growth it took less than a week to start skimming surface film again and is getting better flow everyday

I'm wondering if there is a long flexible brush out there, almost like a drain snake.

If the water level at the overflow reservoir is high it is an indication of a restriction on the overflow pipe. While if the level is low, the problem is in your return pump.

If the water level at the overflow reservoir is high it is an indication of a restriction on the overflow pipe. While if the level is low, the problem is in your return pump.

Ok that makes sense. If its a siphon though, isn't it only going to pull what it requires? I'm not sure that made sense. If I open my ball valve and let my return pump push more water the level in my DT will rise, and eventually overflow. This is why I am thinking its a problem with my return. Maybe its my sump, I will pull the foam block out and replace it. Maybe that will help.

Two other possibilities. First, your overlflow siphone might have air trapped restricting the flow. This is resolved by a lifting pump to get rid of bubbles accumulated in the siphon track. The 2nd, your overflow might not be sufficient enough to match your pump specially after adding that silencer with more water flow restriction.

If you keep turning your pump down, the siphon will eventually break. Your overflow box must be synchronized with your return pump.

I do have hair algae in the overflow box and in the "u" shaped piece but nowhere else. The tube between the overflow and the sump is dark grey and doesn't let light in. Maybe I have a critter in there gumming up the works?

If the back part of your overflow isn't overflowing then the line down to the sump isn't the issue.The hair algae in the overflow box and u tube is probably your issue.. Scrub off the hair algae and you should be good to go.

If the back part of your overflow isn't overflowing then the line down to the sump isn't the issue.The hair algae in the overflow box and u tube is probably your issue.. Scrub off the hair algae and you should be good to go.

That's exactly what I think caused my problem, I believe the u-tube was too restricted causing the poor performance and eventual siphon loss. When my siphon broke I cleaned the u-tube out and its been working much better. I haven't been home much the last few days so I'm hesitant to say flow is back to previous levels. Tonight is going to be the night I open the ball valve and dial it back appropriately.
Thanks for the tips and help eveyone!

You could also try to purchase a larger u tube Andersen if its to big for your return pump it will still flow all the water possible. I upgraded mine to a 1.5 and have my rio 3100 return all the way up and it works like a champ. It use to be a 1" u tube and it couldn't keep up so pump was 1/2-3/4 flow. Now full blast with a simple 9 dollar purchase.

You could also try to purchase a larger u tube Andersen if its to big for your return pump it will still flow all the water possible. I upgraded mine to a 1.5 and have my rio 3100 return all the way up and it works like a champ. It use to be a 1" u tube and it couldn't keep up so pump was 1/2-3/4 flow. Now full blast with a simple 9 dollar purchase.

I like that idea, I didn't even realize individual u-pipes were sold.

when I had an overflow box, I had to take it down ever so often, soak in vinegar and clean it good, then the flow always came back

when I had an overflow box, I had to take it down ever so often, soak in vinegar and clean it good, then the flow always came back

Did you have a back up while the other was down? I honestly never though about overflow box maintenance before this all started.

This is kind of an off subject question but has anyone ever considered putting cheato <sic> in the DT side of the overflow?

Did you have a back up while the other was down? I honestly never though about overflow box maintenance before this all started.

nope, just took return pump offline, soaked for about 15minutes in vinegar and water, scrubbed rinsed replaced, put return pump back online

Back
Top Bottom