Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been running a sump for about 8 months with only a couple .of hickups early on. I've notices recently that I'm getting very poor flow from my overflow box (hob) to my sump. I have to keep throttling back my return pump, more and more.
Is it comon to have to clean your hoses or replace them? If so how often? Are my problems bigger than I believe they are? Has anyone run into something similar?
Ps - its not a snail or anything like that, I built an overflow silencer which basically doesn't allow anything smaller than 3/32 into it. Well I hope.its not a snail

Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only get algae in 2 places in my entire system now. The sump grows chaeto algae like mad and my corner overflow gets hair algae. It restricts one of my 2 overflow pipes , but as I have a dual drain pipe system it's no problem.
Id bet you are getting algae in your drain as well. any chance of covering it so light doesn't get in there?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my hob overflow started getting slow recently and with it's design there's really no way to clean the inside which was getting choked with algae, my cheap solution was to put duct tape over the area with the most light and heaviest growth it took less than a week to start skimming surface film again and is getting better flow everyday
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I only get algae in 2 places in my entire system now. The sump grows chaeto algae like mad and my corner overflow gets hair algae. It restricts one of my 2 overflow pipes , but as I have a dual drain pipe system it's no problem.
Id bet you are getting algae in your drain as well. any chance of covering it so light doesn't get in there?
I do have hair algae in the overflow box and in the "u" shaped piece but nowhere else. The tube between the overflow and the sump is dark grey and doesn't let light in. Maybe I have a critter in there gumming up the works?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeast View Post
my hob overflow started getting slow recently and with it's design there's really no way to clean the inside which was getting choked with algae, my cheap solution was to put duct tape over the area with the most light and heaviest growth it took less than a week to start skimming surface film again and is getting better flow everyday
I'm wondering if there is a long flexible brush out there, almost like a drain snake.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dano View Post

I'm wondering if there is a long flexible brush out there, almost like a drain snake.
Yes they sell them. Foster and Smith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3804142832.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	158556  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post

Yes they sell them. Foster and Smith
Sweet! I'm going to order one tonight.
Hopefully I will be able to clean out whatever is blocking my flow. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the water level at the overflow reservoir is high it is an indication of a restriction on the overflow pipe. While if the level is low, the problem is in your return pump.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
If the water level at the overflow reservoir is high it is an indication of a restriction on the overflow pipe. While if the level is low, the problem is in your return pump.
Ok that makes sense. If its a siphon though, isn't it only going to pull what it requires? I'm not sure that made sense. If I open my ball valve and let my return pump push more water the level in my DT will rise, and eventually overflow. This is why I am thinking its a problem with my return. Maybe its my sump, I will pull the foam block out and replace it. Maybe that will help.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Two other possibilities. First, your overlflow siphone might have air trapped restricting the flow. This is resolved by a lifting pump to get rid of bubbles accumulated in the siphon track. The 2nd, your overflow might not be sufficient enough to match your pump specially after adding that silencer with more water flow restriction.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com