Sump protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a 80g tank that will be a reef. What brand, model, and retailer is best for what I'll need?

Depends on your setup, if its going into your sump make sure the footprint isn't too big. I'm sure any of the name brands should work fine, most websites have recommended thank sizes for each skimmer.

It is best say if the skimmer saus rated for 75-100 gallons, use the smaller number as the rule.

I browsed sites like marinedepot, bulkreefsupply and drsfostersmith to research what was best for me. I almost bought an aquamaxx skimmer but decided the cheap knock off chinesse bubble magus nac9 skimmer would work just as well. Haven't had it long enough to give a proper review though.

You should always shoot for double your tank volume according to manufacturers specs so go for something rated for 160 gallon systems for a reef

Mrc8858 said:
You should always shoot for double your tank volume according to manufacturers specs so go for something rated for 160 gallon systems for a reef

The bigger the better i like reef octopus

I was looking at that brand. I figure you get what you pay for in this hobby for the most part

Ajm said:
I was looking at that brand. I figure you get what you pay for in this hobby for the most part

Yes and no, like I said you won't go wrong with well known companies, reef octopus has great reviews but more expensive isn't the same as better. The advice for getting a skimmer rated for 2x the size of your tank is sound advice, get the biggest you can afford and will fit into your sump. I believe the only reason I didn't choose the reef octo was the footprint was an inch or so to big for my sump, I would have had to settle for a skimmer rated for less than my tank.

There are huge differences in cost for a lot of salt water equipment, just research the models that fit your need and decide if the more expensive units are worth the cost.

Back
Top Bottom