Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump pump ?

I am just wondering if you can use a powerhead given the right gph to pump water from my sump. I have yet to build it but the head should be less than 2 feet. TIA

Old 10-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Yes, you can. The problem is finding a PH that will give you the flow you need. Most PH's start to really suffer at anything past about 24". When figuring your head, you'll want to add 12" for each elbow in the line. I'm not sure how you're going to build a sump under a tank that will have a head of less than 2' though. I think you'll find that you will be better served by one of the smaller Mag Drive pumps. JMHO.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't realise about the elbows. Would it make any difference if I put the powerhead midline?(can you run a powerhead out of water?)
Old 10-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
IMO even worse.. pumps aren't meant to suck unless they say they are designed to do so.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do you mean suck? I mean run the ph outside the water with hoses for intake and out
Old 10-20-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look at the via aqua seres pumps, sen and Mag drive pumps.
I run a via aqua 3300 on my 55 fowlr and I have more then enough flow I actually have it cut back some. I was running a Sen 700 on my 125 reef with a T return to two hang on returns and that was good flow I then broke the shaft cleaning it so I now have a Via aqua 4900 and it works very well. I would like to have a Sen 900 for the extra flow but the others are great.
Look them up on the internet and they have a flow chart and what the GPH rating is for each.
The Via Aqua is a reliable pump, when the power goes out there is no need to bump, bang, spin anything like with some other PH.
If you run the return back with hose inseted of PVC you will not have to worry about the elbow issues. A miracle sells a nice hang on return that the hose just slids over and a hose clamp. Very cheap, easy setup
PH are ment to be in the water not out. They do make return pumps designed to be out of the sump but you need to drill a hole in the sump to run them. These type pumps run more $$$ also.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
what I mean is there's a big difference between having the intake underwater and having to pull water into the intake. for one thing, it can lose prime very easily and run dry. most ph's aren't designed for that

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com