Sump Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

OK how hard would it be to have a sump that has one pump pushing the water to the tank and one pulling water down to the sump?

How would I make sure if one quit for some reason, that I wouldnt have water on the floor?

Next to impossible. You won't be able to match the speeds of the pumps, even with valves and regulators. Just too big of a headache. You'll either end up with an overflowing tank, or an overflowing sump.

If you only have one pump, and it quits, no water will move anywhere. Water is brought down to the sump via an overflow box and gravity.

I think it was fishfreek who suggested the idea to me.

Even if I bought two of the SAME pumps, it should pump the same exact speed. Because they would both have to be pumping water UP it would just be that one would be pumping up on the pull and one on the push.

Also I would try to get one whos head heighth is greater than 5' so I wouldnt loose any flow.

Trust me Zac... the pumps will not pump the same speed, even if they are the same pump. A pump pumping water down will not have to work as hard as the pump pumping water back up. In any case... why are you looking to do this in the first place? I'm assuming you want to do away with an overflow. Correct?

Your two choices are to either go with an overflow box or get a drilled tank. No other way around it. I was stubborn and tried this idea. One pump ALWAYS had to be adjusted. Left unattended, either the tank or the sump would overflow from different speeds.

I was thinking there would be some sort of a water level thing that would kick each pump on and off.

You will need to have either an overflow box (or system similar to it) or drill your tank. Or you could just buy one that's pre-drilled.

This two pump setup will not work. Try it yourself on an empty tank or with pails if you need to test it. (don't worry... I did this myself, and found out the hard way). If you want a sump, my friend, you will have to accommodate the necessary equipment for it. I know you asked several times for a small overflow box that wouldn't stick out for more than a couple inches. Mine only sticks out 3" and it's an Amiracle. If you cannot drill your tank and cannot find a way to make room for an overflow box, then I would suggest either not doing a sump, or risk flooding your floor. :? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. HTH

How come? What else do you have on the back that width would affect the decision? After all of these questions... why not take a pic of the back of your tank and post it here so we could better understand your situation? :wink: Might help out.

Well see its a HEX. I really only have 2 back sides, and one of those back sides is less than 3" from the wall, the other is being used for my filter.

Back
Top Bottom