Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
zacdl

Sump Q

OK how hard would it be to have a sump that has one pump pushing the water to the tank and one pulling water down to the sump?

How would I make sure if one quit for some reason, that I wouldnt have water on the floor?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Next to impossible. You won't be able to match the speeds of the pumps, even with valves and regulators. Just too big of a headache. You'll either end up with an overflowing tank, or an overflowing sump.

If you only have one pump, and it quits, no water will move anywhere. Water is brought down to the sump via an overflow box and gravity.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
zacdl

I think it was fishfreek who suggested the idea to me.

Even if I bought two of the SAME pumps, it should pump the same exact speed. Because they would both have to be pumping water UP it would just be that one would be pumping up on the pull and one on the push.

Also I would try to get one whos head heighth is greater than 5' so I wouldnt loose any flow.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trust me Zac... the pumps will not pump the same speed, even if they are the same pump. A pump pumping water down will not have to work as hard as the pump pumping water back up. In any case... why are you looking to do this in the first place? I'm assuming you want to do away with an overflow. Correct?

Your two choices are to either go with an overflow box or get a drilled tank. No other way around it. I was stubborn and tried this idea. One pump ALWAYS had to be adjusted. Left unattended, either the tank or the sump would overflow from different speeds.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
zacdl

I was thinking there would be some sort of a water level thing that would kick each pump on and off.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Again... what are you trying to accomplish? Auto shut off switches and auto on switches could be installed easily... depending on the application.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
zacdl

I wanna not have an overflow, they are too big.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will need to have either an overflow box (or system similar to it) or drill your tank. Or you could just buy one that's pre-drilled.

This two pump setup will not work. Try it yourself on an empty tank or with pails if you need to test it. (don't worry... I did this myself, and found out the hard way). If you want a sump, my friend, you will have to accommodate the necessary equipment for it. I know you asked several times for a small overflow box that wouldn't stick out for more than a couple inches. Mine only sticks out 3" and it's an Amiracle. If you cannot drill your tank and cannot find a way to make room for an overflow box, then I would suggest either not doing a sump, or risk flooding your floor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. HTH
Old 06-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
zacdl

How wide is it?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

7" wide.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com