Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sump Question

I've been reading a bunch(over a year now) and am getting excited about carring out my plan(set-up begins Dec 26). but can't quite get a handle on the following questions.

does an overflow box actually self adjust how much water it flows based on the amount of water the return pump moves back to the display tank ??

Will it stop siphoning if the power goes out ? and will it restart when power is restored ?
Some say to use with a powerhead but would a submersible pump, such as the Mag drive placed in the sump tank be better?

There are no good Marine LFS's around here and the pictures and descriptions on the net leave much to be desired.

Also anyone with experience with Marine Life Aquatics Model 1 overflows?
Thanks

Mike

Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
does an overflow box actually self adjust how much water it flows based on the amount of water the return pump moves back to the display tank ??
Yes, to a point. THere is a limit to how much flow can be processed by a given overflow but if your under that threashold then if yes the overflow can only drain as much water as the pump is putting in the tank. If the pump stops the overflow will stop once the water level gets below the top overflow fingers.

Quote:
Will it stop siphoning if the power goes out ? and will it restart when power is restored ?
If power goes out the overflow will contue to drain the tank until the water level in the tank is below the lowest inlet of the overflow. In most cases this would be below the bottom part of the overflow fingers in the tank. Once water is below that point the overflow will stop draning. If you have a "U" tube hang on overflow or a reefready tank then yes the syphon will start back up once the pump starts putting water in the tank again unless air got into the "U" tube enough to break the syphon. This should not happen unless you already had some decent amount of air in the U tube or there is a leak in the U tube someplace.

Quote:
Some say to use with a powerhead but would a submersible pump, such as the Mag drive placed in the sump tank be better?
I can only guess your refering to the CPR brand of overflows. They often require a PH to keep the syphon or to start the syphon backup when power goes out. I personally would use another type of overflow as if the powerhead fails to start you will have a flood.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I personally would use another type of overflow as if the powerhead fails to start you will have a flood
Which kind ??

thanks for the info
Old 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Any "U" tube style overflow. These are the overflows that have round U shaped tubes to flow water up and over the edge of the tank.

www.lifereef.com makes some or you can find them on ebay. Hara got some good deals on some from ebay.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com