Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a sump for my 125G saltwater tank last year when I upgraded to it. I always used a canister filter before. Anyway, it came with a bunch of plastic blue bio balls. After a year, there doesn't seem to be stuff growing on the bio balls. Are they just one of those things that came with the sump that should be thrown out that don't really work? Should I replace them with live rock or ceramic bio-stuff.

You probably wont see growth on them, but there is bacteria housed inside. Some people say Bio-balls are nitrate factories and will toss them and use LR, others swear they are the best thing since sliced bread. If your setup is functioning fine and you have no issues, I'd just leave them be. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Here's another question for ya.... how about heating in my tank? I have one 300-watt heater. I had two, one quit working, but this one seems to hold the temp fine. How many watts of heating should I have in this size tank? We keep the house about 68 in the winter.

i have a single 300w in my 150g and it does just fine. its always good to have two though, in case one fails like you mentioned the other one doing

I think I will put another one in the sump, then maybe move the current one to the sump also. Does anyone know how that works? obviously it has to be fully submersed, but does it just keep the whole tank warm by heating the water as it passes through the sump?

Back
Top Bottom