Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my sump I have section 1 with bio balls, 2 I a refugium, 3 is empty and 4 is the return pump. I have heard bad things about bio balls would it be beneficial to remove the bio balls and add more live rock or maybe move the bio balls to the 3rd section and put live rock inthe first section or even put something else in completely different? Any tips would be appreciated

Attachments

• image-3834939074.jpg
    image-3834939074.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 114
In my sump I have section 1 with bio balls, 2 I a refugium, 3 is empty and 4 is the return pump. I have heard bad things about bio balls would it be beneficial to remove the bio balls and add more live rock or maybe move the bio balls to the 3rd section and put live rock inthe first section or even put something else in completely different? Any tips would be appreciated

Remove bioballs their more oldschool for tanks that didn have enough lr and ls you can put lr if you want but not neccasary if you have plenty in dt

Remove bioballs their more oldschool for tanks that didn have enough lr and ls you can put lr if you want but not neccasary if you have plenty in dt

Agreed. Bioballs are an old school method of biofiltration in place of live rock. If you have enough live rock than thats all you needs, bioballs will just cause unneeded problems.

Would you just leave all the chambers bar the fuge empty then? If I did put more live rock in would still be beneficial even with enough in the tank wouldn't it? Thanks or the above btw

I piled a little live rock in the sump just to give my pods from my fuge somewhere to hide. It isn't necessary if you have enough rock in your display, but it's an option.

When you take the bioballs out, remove them slowly over time. You'll be removing some of the bacteria as you do so and you don't want to shock the system all at once.

Thanks I would not have thought about that :)! so would you pu anything in instead of the bioballs or is the best thing to use a sump for simply a fuge?

Thanks I would not have thought about that :)! so would you pu anything in instead of the bioballs or is the best thing to use a sump for simply a fuge?

I use it to house my skimmer and heaters in one section, a fuge in the middle, and the return in the last. In the fuge, I have 3" of miracle mud and chaeto.

I have skimmer and heater in one, sand a little rock and macro's in one, and i run GFO, carbon and return pump in 3rd chamber

Back
Top Bottom