Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking of starting a sump for my 5o gal reef tank. What is good to put in a sump? I have been reading up on mangroves and various macro algaes. I would like to have it as natural as possible. Do I have to have lighting if I want to grow plants in it? I was thinking of using filter media on one side and a dsb, mangroves and caulerpa on the other side. Any expert advice would be excellent :D

What you are describing is a Refugium.
Light is required for macro algae growth.
Mangroves can be difficult and require a lot of room.

You want a sand or rubble bottom for copepods, amphipods, baby stars, worms, etc. to thrive in.
Some people light their refugiums on a reverse schedule as thier main tank to minimize pH swings.

Do a search of this forum on"refugium" to get more detailed information on the subject.

Yes, I do want a refugium but I also want to incorporate it in a sump. How much room would the mangroves need? I was thinking of building my own sump. What would be good dimensions? I couldn't go longer than 28"

How tall can you go. Remember, Mangroves are trees. If you only want the Mangroves to function like an "algae scrubber" to reduce nitrate, there are easier/cheaper ways to do it.
There are hundreds of sump designs esp. DIY ones. A seaarch of the forum and/or net might help.
Include these criterea:
Provide low flow across the refugium portion. Include baffles before the return pump to eliminate microbubbles. Make the sump portion large enough to hold a heater and skimmer. Include a float switch for an auto top off scheme (this is the main advantage of a sump IMO). Use an external pump if possible to reduce heating the water from the pump motor.

Back
Top Bottom