Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Sump Question

I would prefer not to drill my tank. Is there a way to create a 'sump' by pumping water out through a tube over the tank and then back in? How common is this? Does anyone encounter problems? Comments are always welcome Thanks

Fresh Water:
2 Black Loaches
1 Silver Dollar
1 Neon Tetra
1 Glolight Tetras
1 Bali Sharks
1 Rainbow Shark

110 Gallon Marine Reef:
85 lbs. Live Rock
White Sand Aragonite 3"
30 Gallon Oceanic Sump with Magdrive @ 1100 GPH
650 Watts VHO/MH Lighting
2 Yellow Damsels
1 Firefish Gobi
1 Fire Shrimp
Snails
Hermit Crabs
(being rebuilt from a move - planning a new Innovative Plastics Skimmer [better with Ozone and QUIETER] and to drill the tank for an Overflow Box)

40 Gallon Paludarium
Plant Gro CO2 Natural (?)
Undergravel Filter (for some other Bio)
-giant river rocks / logs-
1 Watersprite
1 Rotala
1 Wisteria
2 Yellow Minnows
(set-up near completion)
aquafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do that with a homemade overflow. You don't pump, but instead rely on a siphon to bring it over the top of the tank. Works well. You can buy prebuilt overflows.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is quite common. I would suggest using an overflow vs simply running a drain line up and over the tank and down to a sump. There are many brands of overflows on the market (they are sometimes sold under the name "prefilter" aswell. I like the 'U' tube style myself.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Definitely go with an overflow. Just running a siphon over the edge of the tank will result in lots of water in your floor. If you attempt to pump water both ways, you won't be able to balance the flow of the pumps and, again, water in the floor. Overflows are pretty reliable if set up properly.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
...this sounds reasonable... how much water leakage would I get with an overflow down to a sump? i would imagine that you could use a pump to introduce the water back into the tank after it is treated in the sump?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The handy thing about an overflow/siphon is that the outflow will automatically match the water volume that you pump in. Every overflow/siphon has a maximum flow rate. Exceed the maximum and the siphon can't keep up....wet floor.

As long as you are under the max flow rate, everything just balances perfectly!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks

Does anyone have a diagram of how this works or maybe even some photos?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://www.melevsreef.com/

There's enough info here to get you thinking about what you need.

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:56 AM   #9

I have an overflow box that I just got last night. I realized a day before it came in that I wasn't going to need it. I'm thinking of keeping it maybe for later but if I can get rid of it, I will. The protein skimmer I had gotten was in-sump but was one of those really cheap kind. I've decided to go with a CPR 2 Bak Pak so I won't need a sump. If you're interested, just send a PM my way and we can start talking. It comes ready to go for the most part, pretty much plug and play.

$imple

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com