sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay917

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank and planning to have a 20-30 gallon sump. I have a built in over flow in my tank. What i want to do is to have a pipe going to the sump and have the pump connect to one tube. From that one tube i want to split into 2 drains goin back into the tank. What pump do i need? In other words how many gallons per hour pump should i get?

you need to determine the 'head' - the height that the water needs to travel upwards... also taking into account any turns in the pipes.

Well once all that is done you will want to find a pump that can cycle the water in your take about 10x per hour if not more (preferably more, especially if you have corals)

Mag 7 or Mag 9...

Look on ebay. Saw the mag 7 for $49 plus $5 shipping. The mag 9 was like $7 more.

I have a 48" tank and I use a 36" long 30G under it and it works really well. Here is a link for reference, I have similar to what your looking for, the far left is the overflow/equipment area and the return pump is at the right.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=13037

Your head height is likely around 5 feet with two elbows, at 5 feet plus one for each 90 degree by two lines your looking at 14 feet of head (if that is close to your conditions. The only return pumps I have used are Mag Drive pumps, but to turn your volume all I could recommed would be a mag36, but thats a beast of a pump, you may be able to do better if you look around at different pumps head charts.

Back
Top Bottom