Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sump Question For the Experts

My in stand sump is about 20 gallons right now with a partial refugium (DSB, chaeto & Mangroves) but I'd like to add extra rock & water volume. I don't have room for the rock in the sump so I'm thinking of doing a closed loop reservoir with a 36 gallon garbage can behind the wall.

Space on the back room is limited as I already have 2x 32 Gal garbage cans (RODI & Salt mix for auto water change), a 20 Gal can for kalk/ATO and 3x 5 Gal buckets for dosing. This is why I'm going for a can instead of an old tank. Also there's less flood risk.

I'm going to install two bulkheads in the can, one inlet from the sump plumbed to a tee at the bottom of the can to create an upward flow. The other bulkhead, slightly higher will be an overflow back to the sump. The can will have a lid and there will be plumbing for auto water change & dosing to help clean up my mess of plumbing under the tank now.

Are there any issues with placing live rock in the can to help with biological filtration? One concern I've heard is detritus buildup, but I'm hoping to fix that by putting my dirty water pump from Auto water change at the bottom to suck most out daily. Otherwise, I don't know if I can house hermits or Nas snails in there or if there are any other concerns about this setup.

Thanks in advance.

MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I've got it all mapped out. Going to go with an 8" DSB & 60-100 Lbs of live rock; as much as I can fit while maintaining decent flow through.

Going to pump ~ 700 GPH through a bulkhead near the top down a down pipe to about 5" off the DSB to create a vigorous up flow through the rock. If needed a Koralia 240 or two will keep things moving as well. Think of it as a 30+ gallon media reactor with a DSB & live rock.

MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sounds ok to me. Good flow through there should keep most detritus suspended, and stuff like pods and bristle worms should be able to handle the rest.
Have any pics of your setup and/or drawings of your design?
Someone stop me! Please! But... not just yet...
55 Gal Tropical FW
55 Gal Mixed Reef
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com