Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump questions

I am getting back into the fish game after a while off (tank crashed during hurricane sandy.) I started out with a14g biocube to start, but now I am starting to plan a 40g breeder. I am moving shortly so I do not want to fill up a tank with water yet, but want to design the tank, the sump, and all the plumbing and figure by the time I figure out what I am doing it will be time to fill it with water. I am thinking either a 15g or 20 g long sump, but I am not sure all of what I need. I have done a bit of research but can't find a solid answer. Some people seem to be against a refuge in the sump, some are for. So what size sump tank and is a refuge a good or bad idea? In terms of a protein skimmer I know nothing, but how does this look? Thanks for any help you can give. Starting a tank this big feels as overwhelming as starting with saltwater in the first place haha.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

all you need in a sump is an overflow to get the water to the sump a good protein skimmer and a pump to return the water... you can add some foam pads and filter socks if you want. you could use the 20 long for the tank, I would recommend the reef octopus for your skimmer I really like mine. as far as a refugium I cant give to much info on it because I don't use one.

Jeremy
jeremy upshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the speedy response. As for the overflow I planned on drilling one hole in the middle and adding it there. For the box itself do you have any recommendation on pre made ones or should I just DIY. Also how far down from the lip is it best to drill? And with this size tank what size bulkhead and pipe? Would a mag 5 work for a return pump? Or mag 7?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well for the sump its self you can make one for half the price if not even less then one you cab buy so I would suggest making one..you can get on youtube and there's a ton of videos to guide you through the hole thing...mag 5 should work but depends on what skimmer you get

Jeremy
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here's the best article on sumps I've ever seen. If you read all 3 parts I doubt you will have any more questions.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.htm
On the pump, the gph you want depends on the equipment you are running in it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Those are very good bigreds.. tons of info

Jeremy

Tags
question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com