Sump Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
How would Ii go about making a sump for a 20 gallon? I have a shelf about 2 feet away from the tank that can support a 10 gallon easly. It would also hide the tank and put it at equal hight with the 20 gallon. Would this change the way to set it up? I can post pictures if that would help. Are there any links or books that could help? Kudos for any help! Thanks

a sump by definition is below the main tank. It's possible to plumb it otherwise, but it's harder.

Why do you want a sump? extra volume? Fuge? Isolation tank?

the problem with putting it to the side is that you have no way to return the water to the main tank.. you'd have to use two pumps or something, and that is a bad plan in my book... hard to get them balanced...

I can also put it below. Is it possable to set up a sump with out drilling a hole? Also how much will it cost to set up if I have a 10 gallon tank and use it as a sump?

You either have to drill the 20 or get a over flow box..... drilling is cheaper and a better system. There is no cheap way to do this, and you don'[t want to go cheap becasue a bad plan here can cause a flood. You have the tank so getting some plexi or glass to make dividers is cheap....

You won't need any dividers for a pure sump, just water inlet at 1 side, pump on the other, heater and other gear in between. If you go the overflow route, ebay is by far the cheapest source.

If you dont use any dividers you stand the chance of getting bubbles in your tank. Bubbles from the skmiier and over flow..... Every sump I have seen has some type of divider... Not sure what your calling a Pure sump...

Back
Top Bottom