Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
sump questions and protein skimmer placement

I'm finally setting up a new reef tank this week and need some advice on skimmer placement. Here's my setup.

90 gallon all glass aquarium
2 CPR 150 overflows
mag drive 18 for main return to tank - 1800 gph

rio 2500 or 3100 to run berlin classic protein skimmer.

I plan on using a 20 gallon rubbermaid container for the sump, I also have an old wet dry, but I want more capacity and the bin seems like an inexpensive effective method.

My question is where in the sump should my protein skimmer be for maximum performance or does it matter. I plan on only using live rock and sand for filteration except for some mechanical to get large particles from entering the sump area. I've read different articles about protein skimmer placement, but can't really find a clear answer. I know its nothing is perfect.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

skennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If your sump is going to be a single compartment then I would say placement within the sump doent mater much. I wouldnt put it to close to the return pump so as to reduce the chance of air bubbles getting pumped up into the tank from the pump. Your mag wont be doing 1800GPH unless your sump and tank are level with eachother. There will be some head loss due to gravity. Im sure you knew this but just wanted to make sure. Whats the GPH rating of the CPR 150 overflows?

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Actually I made a mistake. I have 2 CPR 100 overflows, they are rated at 800 gph each. I ran this setup with the mag drive 18 for a long time in a freshwater environment and it worked perfectly. Also I am aware that there is flow loss due to tank height, but thanks for mentioning that. I was merely pointing out the pump rating at 0 feet.

My biggest concern is running pre - skimmed water through the skimmer, by placing it within the sump. I don't know if that should be a concern of mine.

skennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
like fishfreek said, in a single compartment placement is not a big factor, except as he mentioned to reduce bubbles.

however, if you are going to have baffles, i have noticed a few commercial wet/dry manufacturers have placed their sumps in the first stage.
SW - 75 gal
Amiracle SL-350 Wet/Dry (no bio-balls)
AquaC EV-180 Skimmer w/Mag 7
2ea Maxi-Jet 1200 & 2ea Maxi-Jet 900 PH
Captive Purity Refractometer w/Calibrator
LCD Digital 250 W Titanium Heater
48in Coralife 4x65 watt PC
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
Approx. 200lbs Sand (3-4" DSB)
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Please feel free to advise me!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 2 cents on this subject it.. The sump should be somewhat long, the return should end up at one end of the sump, the skimmer should flow into the same area as the water coming from tank. ( the other end) I use a section of acrylic to somewhat divide the area from the rest of the sump. this allows the bubbles to less of a problem in the main tank. I am not concerned about preskimmed water, its going to be skimmed pretty quickly anyway with the flow rate that you have. Good luck with your sump !!
BruceHa11 is offline   Reply With Quote

protein, protein skimmer, skimmer, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com